Spilled soda on keyboard, sticky right arrow key. Can it be cleaned?

Dylan O Brien

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, yesterday, some coke spilled on my Surface 2's type keyboard. Now the right key [>] is slightly sticky when I push it. Is there any way that I can take the key off to clean the underside of the key? Or perhaps another alternative that doesn't result in me having to deal with it or buy a new one?
Thanks in advance.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
From the little bit of information I was able to find, the Type 2 Cover should be similar to a regular keyboard in that you can remove the keys and re attach them. Just be careful when doing both.

Other option is to contact MS and see if that is a good idea in the first place.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
First, I have not removed the keys so I can't say Surface is safe to do this with, but hers what I've done before...

I was once an IT guy in a factory, and one of my bosses looked up from the cubicle nearby me and said, "Rich, I just spilled coke on my laptop" (not the white powdery kind :wink:)

I grabbed it, pulled the power and battery, and took out hree screws. On HP business class laptops it takes three screws to remove the keyboard. I ran it under water in the bathroom, and shook out the water, then told her she couldn't use it until tomorrow. Worked fine the next day.

No guarantee that there isn't something in the Surface keyboard that won't be damaged by water, like I said.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, yesterday, some coke spilled on my Surface 2's type keyboard. Now the right key [>] is slightly sticky when I push it. Is there any way that I can take the key off to clean the underside of the key? Or perhaps another alternative that doesn't result in me having to deal with it or buy a new one?
Thanks in advance.

I did the same thing with a coffee a couple of months back on a Type Cover 2. I tried to prise off the keys, I succeeded with one, but I destroyed the second one. I ended up buying a new KB.

Anonymous321

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
It can be cleaned! My type cover was lightly spilled by coffee and milk mixture. The next few days was fine, but then it turned sticky, so I had an experiment. I used Dettol hand sanitizer and put some on two cotton balls. Then I put a small amount of water on it. Put a few puddles on the letters and wait for it to sink. When it sunk, dry it with a tissue of put it in the sun. Repeat if necessary. BAM!:wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo