new surface rt owner,facing issues

Elvis7

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a surface rt yesterday, used, with the one year Microsoft warranty still active for a year.
I am having issues though.
The tablet has been updated to 8.1 and all other updates.
Issues are the following:

Network transfer speeds are only going at 6MB/s . On the n 2.4 and 5.8 channels.
Sometimes at the user log in, the keyboard wont activate when I select the password box or the pin box. I have to press the accessibility keyboard icon on the bottom of the screen.
Sometimes my internet speed will only give me 5-12Mb download speed, my connection is 46Mb/s . I get 46 on all my devices, phones, pc ,ipad, etch . I have to turn off Wifi on the surface and turn it back on to get 32Mb download...
At one point my surface told me there was no battery detected, while being on battery...

My router is not the issue, it is by far the best router I've ever had. The Asus ac68u.

Another issue that I've found: I have a 64gb micro sd card and when I insert it into the slot, the surface detects it then doesn't, if I push slightly on the card, it stays detected but if I let go it stops. The micro sd car is not going in far enough, yes it does click when I push it in. Ive found a way around this by adding a strip of duct tape to the back of the sd card so its putting pressure on it.its working so far but not sure for how long.

Ive also just purchased the Microsoft complete care for my rt. Which includes accidental damage ��

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have seen the issue you describe with the login on my laptop as well haven't found a root cause yet.
I had a slightly different issue again with a Win laptop where all other devices Windows, WP, iOS and Android would connect to the router but this particular Windows device would not connect to the router. The solution to the second problem was fixed via a new $25 router from Amazon.com. The first issue I haven't found a solution yet, I just reboot the machine but I suspect leaving certain types of websites open on the browser tend to cause it....

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done any scientific studies but your RT is metal radio waves won't go through that. If the back oof the RT is facing the router it could affect it

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I've seen all these issues myself and was able to duplicate the issue concerning download speeds. I turned off the wifi then re-enabled it and my download speed went from 12 to 30 Mbs.I just saw the weird battery thing the other day, but only on the desktop and it disappeared with a re-boot. I've done a hard reset on mine so I don't think that will necessarily cure anything, but you could always give that a shot and see if it helps.

Elvis7

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I hard reseted it (rei,stall) last night . Should I rma it or no need?

I also am not able to paste anything I copy on the forums here, using the ie metro or desktop browser. It copies fine and I can paste everywhere, except in the forum, nothing gets pasted...(uc browser works great, I guess ie doesn't like wpcentral)

Another issue that I've found: I have a 64gb micro sd card and when I insert it into the slot, the surface detects it then doesn't, if I push slightly on the card, it stays detected but if I let go it stops. The micro sd car is not going in far enough, yes it does click when I push it in. Ive found a way around this by adding a strip of duct tape to the back of the sd card so its putting pressure on it.its working so far but not sure for how long.

Ive also just purchased the Microsoft complete care for my rt. Which includes accidental damage.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I haven't experienced any issues with the sd card myself. This particular forum can cause problems with the Windows RT browser, which is ironic to say the least. Although It has improved quite a bit. I have trouble posting here using my Surface as well. Usually what happens in my case is the the keyboard won't stay up. It just keeps auto hiding. The desktop version seems the less flaky of the two. I don't want this to sound negative in any way, overall I still like the Surface and these minor bugaboos are a bit irritating, but not a deal breaker for me. The only issue I'd be worried about is the sd card not fitting correctly. Have you tried another card to see if it fits any better?

Elvis7

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Ya, a 2 GB card seems to work fine so why not the 64gb sdxc.. They are both the same size, perhaps the machining tolerance for the 64gb is higher than the 2gb card :(

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I hard reseted it (rei,stall) last night . Should I rma it or no need?

I also am not able to paste anything I copy on the forums here, using the ie metro or desktop browser. It copies fine and I can paste everywhere, except in the forum, nothing gets pasted...(uc browser works great, I guess ie doesn't like wpcentral)

I have he same issue with my desk to running IE11. I have to use firefox to copy and paste. I am having problems typing right now will edit

The line above didn't even show in my IE!! browser so I am now using firefox. I will check and see how my RT works in a moment. This is a problem with this site.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wp...ack-help/266604-ie11-bug-site-touch-mode.html

Ive also just purchased the Microsoft complete care for my rt. Which includes accidental damage.

I can't seem to fix where the quote are positioned..........Oh Well

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans