Surface 2 Crackling Sound with Amazon Instant Video

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
My Surface 2's audio is good overall except with Amazon Video, which has pops and crackles about a minute after beginning playback. It's persistent on both the full-screen and desktop versions of IE. I don't know what the problem is, but it would be good if Microsoft could fix it. Netflix, YouTube and even Spotify work fine on Surface 2, so why not Amazon video? I keep reading HERE for new developments - someone recently said a Flash update helped, but I haven't noticed any difference. Anyone else notice sound glitches with Amazon video?

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Through the IE browser on the Amazon site... there's no app for it. Check to see if it the audio pops and crackles after a minute of play.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the latest drivers? My Surface did the same thing but it's been fine since the last driver/software update.

Rick Crew

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't watch Amazon on my Surface 2, I thought Amazon used Silverlight for video playback in a web browser hence why it won't work on a Surface 2.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea. Which latest drivers? When I do a 'check update', it shows that there are no updates outstanding.

Control Panel > Device Manager > Right Click/Properties > Driver

From there you can check which driver versions you have for all your hardware.

If your drivers aren't updating then please check the forum sticky, Tegra drivers not updating / BSOD on refresh. More information is in there about driver versions and how to update them.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Amazon Instant Video works with Flash. I have no problems with playback or audio.

Well, apparently, Surface 2 users in the UK seem to be having a problem with this on the Amazon Prime UK site. A number of people have reported this in the UK. Don't exactly know why this is the case.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised the latest round of driver/firmware updates didn't fix the problem. I used to have the exact same problem with crackling audio on Amazon and now it's gone. You should definitely check the sticky or call MS and make sure everything is alright.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah...all that this has done is that it has convinced it to sign up for Netflix.

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. While Netflix streaming has plenty of crap, Netflix adds way more titles a month than Amazon does. Last I checked, Amazon didn't have an official Instant Video app for Android either (granted, I haven't checked in a while)

SRTtoZ

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I made this account just to reply to this thread.

I bought a Surface 2 a couple weeks ago because I fell in love with my sisters original Surface RT. Anyway, I was okay with the lack of apps because things like Netflix/HBO Go/Amazon Prime etc could all be played in IE since it supports flash.

Anyway, flash forward to this week, I went to use HBO GO and whenever it buffers to HD it starts lagging and crackling from the speakers. This seems to be related to the Amazon Prime issue and also the sound/speaker issue in that giant 30+ page thread here:

Surface 2 Speaker/Sound Problems - Microsoft Community

So I'm wondering, I have 2 days left before my return policy runs out with Best Buy, so do we have any evidence that this is a SOFTWARE related issue and not hardware? I'm thinking of returning it for another just to see for myself if its hardware related. Is anyone else having this issue with HBO GO? Its so damn frustrating, the device is near perfect except for this HUGE issue.

Edit: before anyone asks, yes all my drivers are updated to the most recent versions.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. While Netflix streaming has plenty of crap, Netflix adds way more titles a month than Amazon does. Last I checked, Amazon didn't have an official Instant Video app for Android either (granted, I haven't checked in a while)

What do you mean when you say "Netflix streaming has plenty of crap"? It would be good to know before I sign up. I've pretty much given up on Amazon. And, I checked last evening, at least in the UK version of the Google Play Store there appears to be no Instant Video App.

SRTtoZ

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I vote return it and see what happens.

I'll probably end up doing that. I just feel like I'm wasting my time since people in the other thread have returned up to 4, yes FOUR surface 2's and all had the same issues. I just don't want to send back one that its flawless minus the sound issues to get one that has maybe a dead pixel. Anyway ill keep everyone updated.

To be clear about my HBO GO issue, I can visually see the slight stutter, almost like it can't keep up when it buffers into FULL HD (when its still SD, like when you just start watching it doesnt stutter or anything). I'm almost certain this is a "Flash issue" and wish there were other browsers we could use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb