Video Playback Problems

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I bought a new Surface RT a couple weeks ago with a touch cover and, despite lacking a plethora of apps in the store, I'm somewhat satisfied with what the device can do. I bought the 64gb RT figuring if I add a 64gb microsd card, I'm literally doubling my space and making it into a great multmedia device where I can use it for it's Office capabilities, watch an occassional Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (through the browser), and add my videos and music as well.

Cut to the chase. When I watch Netflix or Amazon I get pixellation and green splotchy patterns that sometimes cover the entire screen. Same thing with Mp4 videos of my own. I discovered that .avi files play perfectly, so that is okay. Just needed to figure that out and remember not use mp4 anymore. But what about the Netflix and Amazon? Is there a fix for this? An update? Or is my device messed up and needing to be exchanged? My warranty is still good so asking this now before I'm stuck with a less than usable device.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
You're very welcome. I read forums when I can't sleep. Check resolution, advanced, the Monitor tab, then should be some different options. Doesn't the Surface have Intel HD graphics? There should be an option in your control panel as well. Check that out. Of course, all of this stuff would need to be done from the desktop interface.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I bought a new Surface RT a couple weeks ago with a touch cover and, despite lacking a plethora of apps in the store, I'm somewhat satisfied with what the device can do. I bought the 64gb RT figuring if I add a 64gb microsd card, I'm literally doubling my space and making it into a great multmedia device where I can use it for it's Office capabilities, watch an occassional Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (through the browser), and add my videos and music as well.

Cut to the chase. When I watch Netflix or Amazon I get pixellation and green splotchy patterns that sometimes cover the entire screen. Same thing with Mp4 videos of my own. I discovered that .avi files play perfectly, so that is okay. Just needed to figure that out and remember not use mp4 anymore. But what about the Netflix and Amazon? Is there a fix for this? An update? Or is my device messed up and needing to be exchanged? My warranty is still good so asking this now before I'm stuck with a less than usable device.
That shouldn't be. I've played .mp4 files, Plex-streamed media, and Netflix on my RT and all worked fine.

Pixelation and those green splotchy patterns are generally an indication of (A) corrupt video drivers or (B) faulty hardware. To eliminate the possibility of corrupt video drivers try a full recovery on the RT (make sure to back up an files and data). Before installing any apps, try to play a few videos. Install Netflix, and try that.

If you are experiencing the problem after a fresh recovery then it is quite possible to have defective hardware.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely agree if his AVIs weren't playing well or if the issue was constant. Updating the video drivers would be another great place to start. I do remember people having similar issues back when RT first came out.

Celandine, do you have an HDMI cable to connect to an HD TV? If so, and you're having the problems, connect and if its still there, its definitely not your RT's display. I'd try this stuff before a factory restore.

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
You're very welcome. I read forums when I can't sleep. Check resolution, advanced, the Monitor tab, then should be some different options. Doesn't the Surface have Intel HD graphics? There should be an option in your control panel as well. Check that out. Of course, all of this stuff would need to be done from the desktop interface.

Will check your idea first when I get home from work. I hope it's something as simple as this.

That shouldn't be. I've played .mp4 files, Plex-streamed media, and Netflix on my RT and all worked fine.

Pixelation and those green splotchy patterns are generally an indication of (A) corrupt video drivers or (B) faulty hardware. To eliminate the possibility of corrupt video drivers try a full recovery on the RT (make sure to back up an files and data). Before installing any apps, try to play a few videos. Install Netflix, and try that.

If you are experiencing the problem after a fresh recovery then it is quite possible to have defective hardware.

I would definitely agree if his AVIs weren't playing well or if the issue was constant. Updating the video drivers would be another great place to start. I do remember people having similar issues back when RT first came out.

Celandine, do you have an HDMI cable to connect to an HD TV? If so, and you're having the problems, connect and if its still there, its definitely not your RT's display. I'd try this stuff before a factory restore.

Weird to say this, but I don't have a TV. Cut my cable one day a few years back because I wasn't using it because I did everything on my computer. Then one day a family member needed a television so I donated mine. So, to answer your question, I do have a HDMI cable but will have to wait to check this idea out when I get to a friends house later.

My avi files play wonderfully so didn't think it was (or hoped) a faulty video driver. The device I bought was brand new and came with a one year warranty. If changing the resolution doesn't work I'll do the full factory restore. Not looking forward to that because it took the better part of a day to download all the updates to everything. I won't have much to backup though and I do have Saturday off so if this first idea (changing the resolution) doesn't help, then I'll commit and do the second. Will update you all with the outcome. Thanks for the responses and help. :wink:

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Very welcome. I don't have cabltv either. I stream 95% of what I want to watch, the main exceptions being the news or Bronco's games which I get OTA with rabbit ears in HD. I have an HDMI cable plugged into my Lenovo Flex 10 and my TV's audio back routed to my awesome speakers so I get bigger sound and looks for flics and shows.

I will say that is was awesome of you to take care of family like that. You're good peeps!!

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
My Amazon Prime videos play fine on the RT. If I got a pixelated display, I would suspect my Wi-Fi because I get that in Windows Media Center when I'm trying to record more than two channels on my HDHomerun Prime and simultaneously streaming on my Roku. So, my guess is a weak or over-loaded Wi-Fi signal. Otherwise, I'd take the RT back because you should have no problems with Amazon video. The only qualification is that I've only watched Amazon's Prime videos, not Instant Video offerings, but I wouldn't think they're any different. This week I also streamed basketball using the March Madness app because I do not have Trutv on my service -it worked flawlessly. I do not have Netflix. Good luck getting past this, and I'm confident you will.

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
So, did a refresh where it restarts your RT first. Checked everything out and still video performance wasn't great so afterward, I did a complete factory restart. Downloaded and checked Netflix first and it was only pixellated. I then did all the updates that were required thinking maybe one of those updates was for video performance. Checked everything out afterward.

Netflix has no green splotchies, but is still pixellated. Distracting and not very watchable.
Amazon Instant Video (through browser) is only slightly pixelated.
Mp4 files are still green and splotchy with pixellation. Very unwatchable.
Avi files still play perfectly.
Xbox Videos play perfectly.
Games play perfectly.

I've been using my iPad Mini to watch Netflix and Amazon lately which works, but silly knowing I have a very nice, large portable device in my RT that only does some things well.

Also, there is no way to change the screen refresh rate to a lower value. My only option is still 60 hertz.

My Amazon Prime videos play fine on the RT. If I got a pixelated display, I would suspect my Wi-Fi because I get that in Windows Media Center when I'm trying to record more than two channels on my HDHomerun Prime and simultaneously streaming on my Roku. So, my guess is a weak or over-loaded Wi-Fi signal. Otherwise, I'd take the RT back because you should have no problems with Amazon video. The only qualification is that I've only watched Amazon's Prime videos, not Instant Video offerings, but I wouldn't think they're any different. This week I also streamed basketball using the March Madness app because I do not have Trutv on my service -it worked flawlessly. I do not have Netflix. Good luck getting past this, and I'm confident you will.

When I cut my cable two years ago and went soley to doing everything through my computer, I also at the same time, upgraded my wifi speed with Comcast. Never had a problem on my computer when multitasking nor on any other tablets when streaming video. If anything, things have run smoother and downloads are so much quicker now compared to before. I've had Android, Apple, Nook HD, and Blackberry devices and none of these ever gave me a problem with pixellation that might make me think the wifi speed was choppy or slow. For this reason, I have to believe it's something else going on with my RT. Thanks for the help, though.

WiFi would have made sense if it also didn't happen while playing his own mp4s that play well on other devices.

Yes, none of my Mp4 videos had this problem on any of my other devices. I normally use mp4 because the files are more condensed and take up less room on devices and sd cards. Less room means more videos to watch. I actually convert avi files automatically to mp4 when deciding to sideload onto any devices, but this is a first for me in that they didn't work on my RT.

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
You're under warranty. Its gotta be a hardware issue. Bum luck

That's what I'm thinking. I contacted Microsoft this morning and explained the problem. The guy on the line told me to check again for updates, then when there were none to be found, suggested I do a refresh...again. He said he'd call me back in an hour. It's been over an hour and so far no callback. Will wait a bit longer and then retry calling again. I know the RT isnt the top of the line for Microsoft, but I paid good money for it and just expect it to work properly. Hopefully I can ship it to them to fix or they'll just replace it for me..and not with a refurbished model. I don't want another problem on my hands.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Just an update for anyone curious and hopefully to help anyone else out who might be having the same issue.

Recalled Microsoft and the tech I talked with, after asking a few questions and asking me to try and play Netflix through my browser, came to the conclusion that I possibly have a corrupted flashplayer and codec. Hence why streaming videos and my mp4 video playback is pixellated or green/splotchy. Sending my RT in on Monday via UPS and will get a 'like new' one in the mail in 7-10 days.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions and ideas on how to fix my RT. Guess this one was unfixable. Thank goodness for warranties!!

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Huh. Right on for the exchange, but that answer doesn't sit well with me. Flash player and codecs are just software. Why, when you did a restore did that not resolve your issue, especially after downloading and installing all the available updates? Maybe I'm nitpicking, but...... Anyways, glad you're getting your stuff fixed!!!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Huh. Right on for the exchange, but that answer doesn't sit well with me. Flash player and codecs are just software. Why, when you did a restore did that not resolve your issue, especially after downloading and installing all the available updates? Maybe I'm nitpicking, but...... Anyways, glad you're getting your stuff fixed!!!
Exactly.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Just an update for anyone curious and hopefully to help anyone else out who might be having the same issue.

Recalled Microsoft and the tech I talked with, after asking a few questions and asking me to try and play Netflix through my browser, came to the conclusion that I possibly have a corrupted flashplayer and codec. Hence why streaming videos and my mp4 video playback is pixellated or green/splotchy. Sending my RT in on Monday via UPS and will get a 'like new' one in the mail in 7-10 days.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions and ideas on how to fix my RT. Guess this one was unfixable. Thank goodness for warranties!!

Celandine, did you ever try to connect a TV with HDMI? Just curious if you re-created the issue that way as well.

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

The way the tech explained it, he said that the mp4 codec wasn't compressing/decompressing (hence the name) the file correctly which is why all my mp4 files were pixellated and green/splotchy. As for the flashplayer, he thought it might be bad because when I streamed through the browser it wasn't working either.

I don't know. I like to think I'm a bit of a tech geek, but this problem I had stumped me. He offered an exchange, though it wouldn't be a new RT. I told him I didn't want refurbished as I had a bad experience with one I bought before (Samsung that lasted only a year) but he assured me that the one I would get would have no issues cosmetically or otherwise. The devices they supposedly send out are a step up above refurbished. We'll see. I do hope they don't goof and send me a 32gb RT when the one I sent them yesterday was a 64gb...lol. Right now, that's my only concern. The wait to see if I did the right thing in sending it in is gonna be torturous. I have a 7-10 day wait from Tuesday when Fedex said they would receive it.

Celandine, did you ever try to connect a TV with HDMI? Just curious if you re-created the issue that way as well.

Nope. Never did have a chance. After I called Microsoft yesterday morning and made arrangements to have them send me a new one, I did a factory reset, boxed it up and sent it off. No idea if hooking it up via HDMI would explain the problems further.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. I like to think I'm a bit of a tech geek, but this problem I had stumped me. He offered an exchange, though it wouldn't be a new RT. I told him I didn't want refurbished as I had a bad experience with one I bought before (Samsung that lasted only a year) but he assured me that the one I would get would have no issues cosmetically or otherwise. The devices they supposedly send out are a step up above refurbished. We'll see. I do hope they don't goof and send me a 32gb RT when the one I sent them yesterday was a 64gb...lol. Right now, that's my only concern. The wait to see if I did the right thing in sending it in is gonna be torturous. I have a 7-10 day wait from Tuesday when Fedex said they would receive it.
Don't worry about the replacement device. I sent my RT in, and just received the replacement and it was flawless. I think it is a new unit, because I think they still have a warehouse full of new ones that didn't sell and they are still pulling from there before sending out refurbished ones.

It maybe a software issues, and as others said, they may want yours to see why doing a refresh didn't fix it.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Reason I suggested the HDMI thing, is to see if it was the actual display causing the issues. Projecting to another display would prove/disprove hardware issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel