surface 2 battery stops charging at 99%

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I am going to turn into.. "That annoying guy." But I don't care. New dilemma... First time I charged the surface 2, it reached 99% and stopped there. It claimed that "charger [was] plugged in, [but] not charging." I wanted to know if anyone else sees this problem. Sometimes it reaches 100%, but it isn't always. That is not ok.

Also, has everyone tried running the whole powercfg -batteryreport in cmd? I did so, and it seems my battery design is in the 32,000s but the report claims that the surface never reaches that limit. It is always about 1000 below where it should be. I'm thinking I should exchange it. I don't want to have a faulty device.

I've done a lot of research, and I never find helpful results. People usually just complain, (thus why I am asking here).

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
numbers for design capacity: 32,072 mWh.
Full charge capacity: 31,745 mWh

These are the exact digits. Better than what I had claim, but it is still upsetting that these things exist.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It is very common that you do not reach design capacity. In fact i would be surprised if you did.

Really? Well actually, for some reason that sounds familiar. I'll trust you! But even so, I would like to know what everyone has to say.

How about the surface reaching 99% and then stop charging? I wonder if the majority are experiencing this

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I never paid that much attention to that detail. I think it does stop at 99 once in a while or maybe 98. As long as it stops it must be done and full. It always goes for hours after each charge, which is the bottom line imo. How can you tell if being 1% off is cutting into your "on" time? A bigger issue is why it drains in sleep mode. I have to shut it off when I'm done or plug it in when I get back to it. I wouldn't return it for either of these as everything else is sweet. Nothing's perfect tho.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I never paid that much attention to that detail. I think it does stop at 99 once in a while or maybe 98. As long as it stops it must be done and full. It always goes for hours after each charge, which is the bottom line imo. How can you tell if being 1% off is cutting into your "on" time? A bigger issue is why it drains in sleep mode. I have to shut it off when I'm done or plug it in when I get back to it. I wouldn't return it for either of these as everything else is sweet. Nothing's perfect tho.

I understand. And good point, I guess it could be reaching full charge and the meter is just off. That still isn't right though, but unless it gets worse, I'll accept that.

And I don't seem to experience any drains. My standby time appears to be awesome compared to most. I have about 2.5 to 3.5 hours of standby per percentage. And I do have a couple apps installed. I also decided to turn live tile off for the ones I don't care about using constantly. That may be helping. Oh and WiFi is off. Guess that is a lot of factors... I hope an update fixes your's and many others' issues with that.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I guess its a feature. it transfers the power from the batter to the device, in order not to over charge your battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720