I have an issue with 8.1 update on my Surface 2. (SOS)

NikCR7

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I have just updated my Surface to Windows 8.1 update but there is one feature missing apparently.

Here's the screen shot:

Screenshot (16).jpg

As you can see I DON'T have the power button beside the search button. I've restarted my Surface 2 but still the issue persists. Anyone have a solution to this matter?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The search button is the magnifying glass that in the top left next to your account name and picture.

The power button is in the charm bar then setting then power.

NikCR7

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
The search button is the magnifying glass that in the top left next to your account name and picture.

The power button is in the charm bar then setting then power.

Well actually in the new update you have the power button and the search button (magnifying glass) beside your account name and picture, not just the magnifying glass.

I have updated my Surface to Windows 8.1 Update but I'm not getting this feature. :cry:

testement

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I've got the same issue, search but no power button.
If you look on Microsoft's website about the update it does state that some pc's won't get the power button on the start screen, but being Microsoft's own product you would've guessed that the Surface would.

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I think it's said that small screen devices, 10inch-ish won't get the power button because you might accidentally tap it.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine has no power button as well but on my Windows 8.1 laptop it does have the power button it seems MS has not included it for RT.

NikCR7

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I've got the same issue, search but no power button.
If you look on Microsoft's website about the update it does state that some pc's won't get the power button on the start screen, but being Microsoft's own product you would've guessed that the Surface would.

They stated that devices/tablets less than 8.5" won't get the power button, besides my Surface 2 is 10.6".

Why is this happening to me? :p

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
We were told last week at BUILD that the power button will not show up on touch only devices (Surface RT and Surface 2 are considered touch only devices). Now, how does Microsoft define touch only devices is anyone's guess.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
We were told last week at BUILD that the power button will not show up on touch only devices (Surface RT and Surface 2 are considered touch only devices). Now, how does Microsoft define touch only devices is anyone's guess.

Devices that don't come with an attached keyboard.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was only the case for devices running on an ARM processor where a complete shutdown is not necessary. Anyways, my Surface 2 does not have it either. My 8.1 Pro desktop does.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Devices that don't come with an attached keyboard.

Thought that was the case too yet the Surface Pro/Pro 2 and Dell Venue 11 Pro both have it, so it seems that Windows RT and devices 8" or less are the ones without it.

Last edited:

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Here's an explanation from Paul Thurrott:

There was some confusion during the beta about why certain PCs have this button and some do not. But here's the answer: Its appearance is keyed to an internal setting called the Power Platform Role that PC and device makers must set accurately in order to obtain the Windows logo. If this setting is configured as "Slate," the button will not appear, because it would be too easy to tap accidentally and tablet users are comfortable with the edge-based UIs. If it is set to "mobile device," as a laptop or Ultrabook would be, the button will appear.

In other words, it has nothing to do with the availability of features like multi-touch or Connected Standby.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa