Tweaking settings after 8.1 Update 1

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
those are just trips and tricks that you can always try :smile:
windows 8.1 update 1 brings enhanced support for mouse and keyboard users , you wont see hose changes on your surface until you attach keyboard and mouse . Though its a mandatory update it might also include many bug fixes

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
well, like all the previous major updates this one hosed Store updates and I had to go in and unfuxor everything Microsoft did.

still no updated Tegra3 drivers which is a total crock.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of updates, I noticed there were several updates available earlier today, so I tried to download, but as the download progress went on at 58%, it stopped and no further progress. I tried to restarted my RT tablet and started update again, this time it turned out even worse, the download progress became 0% for quite a long time. Is there anything wrong with Windows Update service?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it is being overloaded with requests. All my systems (XP, W7, W8, W8RT) are having issues downloading updates right now.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I think the download is complete in my RT, and couple moments later I take a look on my RT tablet, as I slide up to unlock, I see it says locked, as I try to press win key + L to input password, it simply says "Windows Update", "Restart your PC to finish updates. Automatic restart will occur in 1 day." , and at this moment I cannot input password to unlock. Does it mean update is proceeding? How long should I wait? And should I force reboot the machine?

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Mine took about 3 hours to update in two rounds and was also flakey while rebooting, but it eventually came back.

Microsoft needs to do better, their update process is by far the worst of the mobile OSs and not acceptable.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I think the download is complete in my RT, and couple moments later I take a look on my RT tablet, as I slide up to unlock, I see it says locked, as I try to press win key + L to input password, it simply says "Windows Update", "Restart your PC to finish updates. Automatic restart will occur in 1 day." , and at this moment I cannot input password to unlock. Does it mean update is proceeding? How long should I wait? And should I force reboot the machine?

Yep. If it's saying to reboot, reboot.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine took about 3 hours to update in two rounds and was also flakey while rebooting, but it eventually came back.

Microsoft needs to do better, their update process is by far the worst of the mobile OSs and not acceptable.
I had the worst update ever this time. The first time, I lost my wireless connectivity completely. Nothing I tried could get it back. Uninstalling the driver was no go, once it was gone, I couldn't get it back. The system lost the files. Even using a USB Ethernet dongle (which worked) I couldn't get the driver from Microsoft.

So, reset the SurfaceRT, started the update process again. But I noticed that it the 1/15/14 firmware was needed, again (the start button for wakeup fix). For some reason my SurfaceRT keeps saying it needs that update after every reset, along with the normal files, got through and noticed that again, the start button wakeup still wasn't working right.

Another reset.

Again, the firmware was showing that it was required. WTF!?!?!? So this time, I unselected all the updates except for the firmware. After it installed, I did another reset, FINALLY windows update said the firmware wasn't required, and I noticed that the wake with windows button works proper.

Finally onto the normal updates. This time I also decided to just do updates as defaulted (without going into the control panel and re-selecting all). It took a bit, and multiple reboots and rechecks. Eventually selecting the "important" (which aren't checked by default). Slowly going through those (the actual update installs went really quick), I think I finally the cleanest update possible, and things are really good. Everything seems faster than it ever has been.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I had the worst update ever this time. The first time, I lost my wireless connectivity completely. Nothing I tried could get it back. Uninstalling the driver was no go, once it was gone, I couldn't get it back. The system lost the files. Even using a USB Ethernet dongle (which worked) I couldn't get the driver from Microsoft.

So, reset the SurfaceRT, started the update process again. But I noticed that it the 1/15/14 firmware was needed, again (the start button for wakeup fix). For some reason my SurfaceRT keeps saying it needs that update after every reset, along with the normal files, got through and noticed that again, the start button wakeup still wasn't working right.

Another reset.

Again, the firmware was showing that it was required. WTF!?!?!? So this time, I unselected all the updates except for the firmware. After it installed, I did another reset, FINALLY windows update said the firmware wasn't required, and I noticed that the wake with windows button works proper.

Finally onto the normal updates. This time I also decided to just do updates as defaulted (without going into the control panel and re-selecting all). It took a bit, and multiple reboots and rechecks. Eventually selecting the "important" (which aren't checked by default). Slowly going through those (the actual update installs went really quick), I think I finally the cleanest update possible, and things are really good. Everything seems faster than it ever has been.

Funny, it took me about 3 to 4 hours for the update as well. Also was stuck at about 58% for the longest time. Knowing that he servers were most likely slammed with a lot of traffic, I left it and let it do its thing. When It was finally complete, it had turned tself on airplane mode which I thought was I odd. I had to go into setting s and disable it. And then it just had no wireless connection at all..... did repair steps and said "no problems detected" but still had no WiFi....luckliy after restarting it was back an that was the only issue I had.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
>>Microsoft needs to do better, their update process is by far the worst of the mobile OSs and not acceptable.

Yes, I totally agree with this, MS still treats it like ordinary PC OS, it seems that MS forgets Windows RT is an OS for mobile devices, all we need to see is a progress bar telling user the current update progress, nothing more than that.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Things I just noticed different from my SurfaceRT and my laptop, my laptop shows running modern apps on the desktop taskbar my SurfaceRT doesn't. Also on the start screen, the laptop shows the power options next to my logon picture, the SurfaceRT doesn't.

Anyone else notice this?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Things I just noticed different from my SurfaceRT and my laptop, my laptop shows running modern apps on the desktop taskbar my SurfaceRT doesn't. Also on the start screen, the laptop shows the power options next to my logon picture, the SurfaceRT doesn't.

Anyone else notice this?

because the features you posted are only available for desktop(keyboard and mouse users ) . as soon as you connect mouse or keyboard to your surface RT you will see the changes ;)

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Does the touch keyboard count? When I flip it around to use it, nothing changes.

Same here with my type keyboard. Search button is there but no power. I don't understand why they would do that. They need to keep the RT interface the same as 8.

I can, however, right click the modern apps and get the pop-up menu.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no they don't.

I'm very GLAD they didn't add clutter to the Surface.

Plus, when was the last time you needed to shut down a Surface? I can say with certainty I NEVER have. You either restart on updates or you suspend by pressing the power button.

I don't even know why they put it on non touch start screens, it isn't like non touch Win8 boxes need to be shut down more.....oh wait, I forgot about draconian companies with ancient hardware who make their employees shut down every day to save power......probably the same companies lamenting the end of XP.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Shut down isn't a big deal for me. But I do have to reboot it frequently. I shouldn't have to, but Windows being Windows, I do. And some people do shut down because RT still eats considerable battery life while in sleep. They need to put it on the start screen and remove it from settings, which was a ridiculous place to put it in the first place. The search on the start screen can go away.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh, also you can go to the task bar properties and select "show windows store apps on the taskbar". I tried it, didn't like it on my RT. They took up to much space on the taskbar, turned it off.

I've kept the power button showing. Not sure why, but I like it there, instead of being in the charms bar.

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
my RT was running like crap after I updated to 8.1. I decided to refresh and delete all content and start from scratch. it works 10x better now thank goodness, as I was this close to selling it.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786