Win 8.1 RT Update: Impact on Battery life

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I was wondering what your experience has been after installing the most recent update on the battery life on your Surface 2. In my case, I am still working this out. Initially I thought that the update marginally increased battery life, but now I am finding that this may not be the case. On the other hand, it has been a while since I have calibrated the battery. I will do this overt the weekend to see if there is any difference. In the meantime, any inputs in terms of your experience would be most welcome.

Thanks

Jowarman

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I've actually notice a slight increase as well. However, now and then when I try to wake up my Surface from standby mode, the screen never comes on. :/ This is my 3rd exchange that this has been happening to after updating.

Ive Grbic

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I think the Update decreased battery life on my Surface 2. I now see 14-16% drain by an hour of using IE. Before the Update it was 12-13% an hour.

I'm still testing this out and will update my results accordingly.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys...in my case - as I mentioned in my first post - I am seeing both the results that you reported. Initially, I thought the battery life was slightly - very slightly - better. But now I am not sure at all. I just pulled a battery report and it estimates that I should get about 8 hrs 40 minutes based on my current usage - which involves browsing (this is indeed known to suck battery life); the battery report also says that as per design capacity, I should be getting 9 hrs 02 minutes, OneDrive open, One MS Word document open, and 4 apps doing background updates. Brightness at approx. 40% (with adaptive brightness activated), WIFI on (tethered to my phone), BT off.

Earlier, if I remember correctly, I used to get about 9 hours, which kind of relates to the design capacity projects that the device makes based on my current usage!

Last edited:

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I have battery life issues a well, plus sleep issues with a cover attached (does not want to go into sleep mode, though the screen will still turn off properly). Had issues with the leaked Update 1, factory restored, tried the update straight from Windows Update, issues still remain so I've requested an Advanced Exchange for my Surface 2. This'll be my fourth one, *sigh*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster