What to do with skydrive and skype memberships included with surface?

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased this tablet and notice a card for each. I dont use skype and I do not plan to use the upgraded sky drive or what ever its called. Are these worth anything? Think I can trade them for a ligit copy of windows 7?

Thanks

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Yoop
That SkyDrive (OneDrive) offer is more useful than you know.
Why would you want Windows 7 if I may ask?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased this tablet and notice a card for each. I dont use skype and I do not plan to use the upgraded sky drive or what ever its called. Are these worth anything? Think I can trade them for a ligit copy of windows 7?

Thanks

I understand the Skype part, I got it free for the time my office university subscription lasts, and I never have any reason to use it. But I think you really need to look into what OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive) is. I don't know if you knew this when you wrote that post, but OneDrive is so integrated with Windows 8.1 is that it's hard to use your Surface on a daily basis and not notice it. Plus, 200 GB of free cloud storage is nothing to be asking about getting rid of so quickly. That's like someone giving you a 200 GB hard drive and you just throw it away the next moment. If you really want to trade your Skype subscription, wait for the threshold update for Windows 8.1. It'll really make you want to update from Windows 7 and you'll regret having to pay money to update instead of getting the free update through Windows 8.1.

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I just do not believe in subscription services. Plus this device will be used offline most of the time.

Windows 7 was going to be used to "upgrade" my xp box.

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have not been able to figure out what to do with the Skype thing either. It says something about being unlimited, but it won't really allow me to do anything without paying for one thing or another. I am not sure what it is good for.

I do like and use the OneDrive space for all of my family pics and videos.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been able to figure out what to do with the 1 year of free Skype either.

OneDrive is very useful with it's sync with my Surface.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Don't know about the Skype business - like others it always seems I have to pay to use it (aside from Skype to Skype stuff). But the OneDrive - I have read elsewhere - that you can transact with it. I am not sure about this but can find out. By transact I mean exchange it privately with other interested parties either for cash or in kind. From what I gather MS does not - unless it is activated - care. But again, this is unconfirmed and I can check on it and get back.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, what do you get for the Skype thing? I wanted to send text via Skype (so I can text from my surface 2) and it says I have to pay.

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I notice mines says home number, so maybe you can only call yourself for free? :) Ive already deleted the app or tile as it was taking up 16k. :shocked:

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'll take them both if you do not want to use them. They turned out to be a lot more useful than I originally imagined.

While I use the OneDrive 200GB storage all the time and it is now an integral part of my work-flow, I would be interested to know how you use the Skype offer? How does it work? Is this something that is restricted to the US?

Alligator42

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I used the OneDrive code to simply set up some space that I could access from multiple computers. I also use it to backup my files so I feel more secure.

As for the Skype code, I added it to my Skype account, which I really hadn't used. I picked up a Skype handset for home use, and we now use it to make calls to family around the world. My kids also have a cell phone plan that charges for minutes used (Ting), and they can use the Skype app on their phones to make calls without using their plan's minutes.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised that these are really useful services. I'm using them more than I expected, and I will probably keep using them once the trial ends.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I used the OneDrive code to simply set up some space that I could access from multiple computers. I also use it to backup my files so I feel more secure.

As for the Skype code, I added it to my Skype account, which I really hadn't used. I picked up a Skype handset for home use, and we now use it to make calls to family around the world. My kids also have a cell phone plan that charges for minutes used (Ting), and they can use the Skype app on their phones to make calls without using their plan's minutes.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised that these are really useful services. I'm using them more than I expected, and I will probably keep using them once the trial ends.

I don't know how the Skype part works. I did the same thing as you did - adding the code to my Skype account - but where to call. Every person who I know has Skype and so the inter-Skype call is always free by default. Anyways, I completely ignore that Skype code.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
This is the details from Skype about Skype on Surface:
Welcome to Skype on Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2
Be sure to read the superscripted footnote too.

I hope this helps!

Thanks. It appears that Skype is expensive (if you pay for it). Recently, I was in Canada and was trying to call the UK when I was in a WiFi space (in Canada). Skype wanted me to pay money! So, I am not sure how that unlimited free scheme works.

I would rather use Viber and Whatsapp for calls and messages - both being free!

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. It appears that Skype is expensive (if you pay for it). Recently, I was in Canada and was trying to call the UK when I was in a WiFi space (in Canada). Skype wanted me to pay money! So, I am not sure how that unlimited free scheme works.

I would rather use Viber and Whatsapp for calls and messages - both being free!

Skype is free when u go Skype to Skype. The credits is so that you can call land line and or cell phones. Very useful for those with neither but want to call friends and family.
We had an Austrian exchange student stay with us last year. They Skype credit I had allowed her to call her dad at no cost to me. (I use bing rewards to get free credits)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss