Im happy.

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Ive been slowly warming up to the surface 2. Been using it to read file attachments, touching all the tiles, reading a few news articles and other websites. Basically what I use the ipod touch 4 I have for. :cool:

In the end I got 16 of 28 gb free and its only using half a gb from the sdcard.

Im still out on rather I like the touch cover keyboard vs on screen. I think if I use it in public Ill just take out a traditional 104 key usb keyboard to get people to stare at me funny. :evil:

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I loved my Surface RT, but started feeling performance anxiety after a while. Got my Surface 2 a couple of months ago and I am extremely happy with it. I use it for pretty much everything I used my laptop for before. Anything that requires a full X86 system, I just use remote desktop and still do it on my Surface:evil:

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Remote desktop? Is that like pc anywhere? Yeah, Ive been out of the loop for a decade or so.

Yeah, seems pretty fast since the 8.1 update and moving the recovery to a usb stick and deleting the space on the drive.

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I suppose so. It lets you log into any other Windows PC and, depending on your connection, use it like you were sitting at that PC. It's been built in since Win XP, but works great on Win 7 or 8. I use it on a regular basis for anything requiring a "real PC". So, like once a month:winktongue:

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Yep I love it so much, not only does it have a long battery life, you could type on it! Definite advantage for me over any tablet. Especially OneNote and OneDrive, the best things for work. Only drawback is there are no .mkv players (we need VLC)!

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Only drawback is there are no .mkv players (we need VLC)!

There are quite a few players available in the store, which play *.mkv. I do not need it though since i dont use mkv because i consider the format pointless.

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
mkv players? I havent really browse the app store, but thats something on my list. I just check my email, read the news and see whats trending on youtube. :D

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm also very happy with my Surface 2! And here's another vote for remote desktop too, I use it every day to connect and control my Win7 gaming desktop and my Win8 laptop... right from the comfort of my couch or bed! :)

I'd also like to recommend PLEX media server for all your MKV (or any other video format) viewing needs on your Surface 2. The PLEX client app for Win8 (RT) is $4.99 and the server software to run on your PC is free. Since I've started using it, it's become the number one used app on my Surface 2! Simply amazing... works perfect!

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I've got to check out Plex and see if it is something that I would want and if I know how to get it to work! Sounds like a fun (and useful) thing to have.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've got to check out Plex and see if it is something that I would want and if I know how to get it to work! Sounds like a fun (and useful) thing to have.
You should! It's real easy to set up.. just install the server application on your PC, create an account and specify what folder(s) contain all your movie/video files. Then get the client app on your portable device (I have it on both my Surface 2 and my Nokia 1020) for $4.99 each, log into your account and presto! Instant access to all your movies! Everything pretty much works "right out of the box" with the default settings. Have fun!

And to the OP, you should try the "Type 2 keyboard" for the Surface. It's backlit and a fantastic typing experience over the Touch or onscreen keyboard.

Peter T

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean "we need VLC"? VLC app is available in Microsoft store. I have installed both - the app and the Windows versions on my Surface Pro 2.

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Attached the touch cover. The magnets are strong, I almost lost a finger. Felt funny typing on it. Sometimes I had to type the first letter twice when using search or other boxes where I had to enter info. The mouse pad worked fine with your finger.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
You should! It's real easy to set up.. just install the server application on your PC, create an account and specify what folder(s) contain all your movie/video files. Then get the client app on your portable device (I have it on both my Surface 2 and my Nokia 1020) for $4.99 each, log into your account and presto! Instant access to all your movies! Everything pretty much works "right out of the box" with the default settings. Have fun!

Thanks. So, that measn you bought the app twice - once from the Windows Store and the second time from the Windows Phone Store?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. So, that measn you bought the app twice - once from the Windows Store and the second time from the Windows Phone Store?
I did. I've got a whole $9.98 invested..
And worth every penny. Too bad it's not a "Universal app" where you only have to buy it once. But like a said, worth every penny..

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I did. I've got a whole $9.98 invested..
And worth every penny. Too bad it's not a "Universal app" where you only have to buy it once. But like a said, worth every penny..
And with the latest update... It has become such! Dang, I should have waited.. Oh well. Still money well spent!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb