Is a surface right for me??

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So right now I'm primarily a apple user. I own a 5S, iPad 4, and Apple TV.

I have however been liking what Microsoft is doing lately with its services and am considering getting one of their products (outside our home PC) to better take advantage of them. Plus I'm looking for a device to take to class and type notes and papers on. So I was thinking maybe a surface 2 could be good.

However , I'm not sure how reliable or good the device is with those things and others. I would like to use apps on it like video watching and web and email and other such apps and things.

Also some light gaming could be fun .

For owners of the device, what do you see as it's main selling points and as maybe it's faults? And would you recommend it? Is the experience going to be measurably better than if I just bought a keyboard for my iPad?

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, if you are already bought into the Apple eco-system, you should stay in it. Sure, if you want to just try things out, see if you can buy a cheap and used Surface RT (1st Gen) off eBay. But, if I were you, I'd either upgrade to the Air or wait a few months or whenever it is that Apple will release their next gen iPad, pair that with a KB and go from there.

Edit: And its not like that you can't use the MS services using Apple devices - you now have the Office Suite (of course, you need to get an Office 365 subscription if you want full functionality), you get to use OneDrive (though you always have the Dropbox integration on Apple systems and apps), etc. etc.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, if you are already bought into the Apple eco-system, you should stay in it. Sure, if you want to just try things out, see if you can buy a cheap and used Surface RT (1st Gen) off eBay. But, if I were you, I'd either upgrade to the Air or wait a few months or whenever it is that Apple will release their next gen iPad, pair that with a KB and go from there.

I don't know how super invested I am. Only thing I really bought is apps. I try not too be locked into any one ecosystem too much.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

Edit: And its not like that you can't use the MS services using Apple devices - you now have the Office Suite (of course, you need to get an Office 365 subscription if you want full functionality), you get to use OneDrive (though you always have the Dropbox integration on Apple systems and apps), etc. etc.

But how do those stack up to the windows versions? Is the apple version the same?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, my Surface 2 is my primary computing device at home, and the type keyboard is great for typing on. It's quick, responsive and has a great screen.

The only downside is the app store. If there's certain apps/functionality that you can't live without then you may find the Surface a disappointment - it's the same situation as Windows Phone.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Personally, my Surface 2 is my primary computing device at home, and the type keyboard is great for typing on. It's quick, responsive and has a great screen.

The only downside is the app store. If there's certain apps/functionality that you can't live without then you may find the Surface a disappointment - it's the same situation as Windows Phone.

Don't get me wrong, I am spread across MS devices and services - desktop machine, Surface 2, Lumia 720, Office 365, OneDrive and certain apps. My only outlier device in this mix is the iPad Air for which I have a very specific task and for a very specific reason.

However, in all fairness, if someone is used to an eco-system and has the relevant hardware and services, then, in all good faith, the best I can suggest would be to look at cross-platform services which can do what a user want efficiently. Arguably, going by the reviews and other description, I think MS has done an excellent job with Office for iPads etc. My interpretation of what the OP post led me to suggest what I did. However, as in all things, I could be mistaken and/ or have misunderstood what he/ she wants.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

I have however been liking what Microsoft is doing lately with its services and am considering getting one of their products (outside our home PC) to better take advantage of them. Plus I'm looking for a device to take to class and type notes and papers on. So I was thinking maybe a surface 2 could be good.

However , I'm not sure how reliable or good the device is with those things and others. I would like to use apps on it like video watching and web and email and other such apps and things.

For owners of the device, what do you see as it's main selling points and as maybe it's faults? And would you recommend it? Is the experience going to be measurably better than if I just bought a keyboard for my iPad?
Here, the Surface 2 is perfect for work, as you get free Office and have word, excel, power point and outlook. E-mail you don't need to worry since Microsoft got the Mail app to be a great app.

However, you need to use IE for your browser, you can't use other browsers. Yet IE itself is fluid and fast, contrary to popular belief. Video Watching is also having no problems (a lot of alternative video app if the native one doesn't suit you, and Xbox video lets you buy movies). Unless you have movies with really confusing formats, you won't have a problem.

The Surface 2 is small, fast and tenacious. Especially with the keyboard attachment, you can type comfortably (Type Cover 2) and get work done fast. With touch integration of Office (combining touch screen with typing), you get work done. Fast. The battery life also holds up to 12 hours for me with light use, though Microsoft said 10 hours of video playback. NOTE however that the battery life will at first be only 6-8 hours only. But with repeated use, the battery life WILL improve to reaching 12 hours.

Note taking is easy with OneNote app that Microsoft has beautifully built. You can integrate photos into your OneNote notes using the front or back camera of the Surface 2.

Microsoft's services are also top notch here, with Bing (News, Health & Fitness, etc.) and Calendar, so you could keep being updated with news of your surroundings.

The drawback though I think is not being able to install .exe apps or any program for that matter, no touch-pen recognition and lack-of-games (you could argue this). If you are looking for famous popular games such as Plants vs Zombies or Candy Crush, you won't find it here. But there are a lot of great games provided by Microsoft (look for an Xbox banner on the app picture) or other great games such as Halo: Spartan Assault and Asphalt 8: Airborne. If you're a light gamer I think games wouldn't be a problem (as I myself am a light gamer now, and occasionally play Microsoft Solitaire or Mahjong, with a little bit of Asphalt).

Bottomline, the Surface 2 will fill your work requirements greatly, has a long battery life, relatively small in size, able to play media and entertainment, and a great way to be productive in general (either through note taking, finishing up essays, and those other stuff). The drawback of not being able to install apps is also a plus for me, as I don't get tempted to procrastinate as I can't play my favourite heavy games (League of Legends, Fallout, Crysis, Dawn of War, Skyrim, etc.)

**P.S. Twitter and Facebook apps are working great, and so is Skype. You also could multitask (split the screen into 2) such as watching a video and typing at the same time. I personally recommend you to get one, with the Type Cover 2, as it will fit your needs really well.

***P.S.S. If you do get one, I'll tell you the essential apps you need to download that would make your life way easier.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
NOTE however that the battery life will at first be only 6-8 hours only. But with repeated use, the battery life WILL improve to reaching 12 hours.

Interesting observation! Is this your experience? I find that the thing that drains the battery.- a lot more than what I would wish - is using the browser. Otherwise, in terms of connected standby and usage without WIFI enabled gives excellent battery.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Interesting observation! Is this your experience? I find that the thing that drains the battery.- a lot more than what I would wish - is using the browser. Otherwise, in terms of connected standby and usage without WIFI enabled gives excellent battery.
Yeah that is my personal experience with some others too. In the first 2-3 weeks I panicked that I got a faulty product, but left it as is. After about 1 month, I realized that I could go through the day from 7 a.m to 7 p.m. Was surprised at the improvement too.

Sorry for yours, since some others too had that same problem.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that is my personal experience with some others too. In the first 2-3 weeks I panicked that I got a faulty product, but left it as is. After about 1 month, I realized that I could go through the day from 7 a.m to 7 p.m. Was surprised at the improvement too.

Sorry for yours, since some others too had that same problem.

Well...I really cant complain about my experience. But I can't see the Surface 2 surviving 8 hours of only surfing. Of course, I have not tried it - may experiment with it to see how that goes. Effectively, I get about 8 hours of work - with browsing, Word and PowerPoint open, OneDrive open and syncing, Mail (with 2 accounts syncing as mail comes in), Twitter app on, WIFI on (BT off), brightness between 35-40% with auto-brightness enabled, camera off, Alarm, Clock, FlipBoard, Twitter, Windows Store, Skype are the apps that are on and that have notifications enabled.

On connected standby - I experimented with this a few days back. I charged up to 100%. I then let the device sit for 4 days without using it at all. On the 5th day when I opened the device, there was - if I remember correctly - 67% of the charge left.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One thing to consider is the surface mini that will be announced in may/ship in June. This is a different size then your current devices, so it could offer a unique experience. Or one of the other 8"windows tablets....

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
please make sure you compare the pro vs rt versions.

I had the rt originally and it was an amazing device as sys admin it just didn't meet some of my work needs at the time. So I switched to the pro. Which is honestly a full blown windows computer and I love it.

(mind you I had the surface rt 1, the surface 2 is better) The RT is great for the casual user; web, email, games, apps. OFFICE. It does an amazing job. The battery life is a little less then 10 hours and it is very light. They touch keyboard was good, but I switched later on to the type keyboard. I found light word process and emails were fine, but when I started writing long documents and heavily relying on my surface that my fingers were getting a bit tired from the touch keyboard.

I use my surface pro non stop if you have any questions, message me. I am def one of the MS fan boys and I am pretty heavy into their ecosystem. I am very happy with it so far.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Well...I really cant complain about my experience. But I can't see the Surface 2 surviving 8 hours of only surfing. Of course, I have not tried it - may experiment with it to see how that goes. Effectively, I get about 8 hours of work - with browsing, Word and PowerPoint open, OneDrive open and syncing, Mail (with 2 accounts syncing as mail comes in), Twitter app on, WIFI on (BT off), brightness between 35-40% with auto-brightness enabled, camera off, Alarm, Clock, FlipBoard, Twitter, Windows Store, Skype are the apps that are on and that have notifications enabled.

On connected standby - I experimented with this a few days back. I charged up to 100%. I then let the device sit for 4 days without using it at all. On the 5th day when I opened the device, there was - if I remember correctly - 67% of the charge left.
Ah no wonder. I usually only surf and my brightness is around 30% with auto brightness off. Usually I only have Word, PowerPoint, and IE open. Perhaps my simple usage held the battery life up to 12 hours.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I have found that setting up the adblock-like easylist exceptions in IE has helped with battery life. Less junk gets downloaded, less flash (in ads anyways). I've also found that loading the mobile-version of sites is less taxing on battery life as well.

As much as "full browser experience" is touted as a benefit of the Surface, the downside is (and there's always a downside) the hit to battery life. As long as I visit websites that I know are not running Flash or heavy client-side Javascript, I find battery life to be stellar.

So, you don't have any apps working in the background?
I keep that to a minimum, which also helps battery life. This is part of the "system maintenance" that I have been referring to in other threads. I keep live tile updates to an absolute minimum, change mail retrieval to "manual", make sure to fully close apps. I can easily get 12 hours on a battery charge. (Still not as good as the iPad 4, but quite acceptable) Without doing those things I get 7-8 hours..

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have found that setting up the adblock-like easylist exceptions in IE has helped with battery life. Less junk gets downloaded, less flash (in ads anyways). I've also found that loading the mobile-version of sites is less taxing on battery life as well.

As much as "full browser experience" is touted as a benefit of the Surface, the downside is (and there's always a downside) the hit to battery life. As long as I visit websites that I know are not running Flash or heavy client-side Javascript, I find battery life to be stellar.

I keep that to a minimum, which also helps battery life. This is part of the "system maintenance" that I have been referring to in other threads. I keep live tile updates to an absolute minimum, change mail retrieval to "manual", make sure to fully close apps. I can easily get 12 hours on a battery charge. (Still not as good as the iPad 4, but quite acceptable) Without doing those things I get 7-8 hours..

I have the ad-block lists enabled. And, yes, this is one issue that I have with the Surface. But recently, I noticed something on my iPad Air on which I use Mercury instead of Safari - browsing does tax the battery. I am not sure why I have not noticed this on my laptops (when I used to use them) or maybe I was not paying too much attention.

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site

I own a Surface 2, iPad 4, Apple TV, Roku 3, iPhone 4, and a ton of other smartphones, tablets, netbooks, notebooks, and desktops that I all use on a regular basis.

If you don't have a good bluetooth keyboard for your iPad 4, then you should get one. I highly recommend the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover. They originally sold for $99, but now you can pick one up for $17. It is terrific. It is high quality, and fits the iPad extremely well. Very portable and function for typing short notes, blog articles, or lengthy research papers.

If you have multiple devices in your household, I recommend getting the Office 365 subscription. You can install Office on 5 PCs/Macs AND 5 tablets under the same subscription. $9/month or $100/yr or $67/yr (on Amazon). MS Office on the iPad is very well done and easily interacts with my Office files created on my other devices.

It's not easy to recommend one over the other. It really depends upon how you personally will use the device.

On the "+" side of the Surface 2 ledger....

- Outstanding build quality
- Full-sized, powered USB 3.0 port
- microSD card slot
- microHDMI port
- extended display support
- Office 2013 RT (desktop mode is a benefit IMO not a deficit)
- Performance (iPad 4 running iOS 7.1.1 is not as good)
- TypeCover2 as an option

On the "+" side of the iPad 4 equation...
- high quantity of quality apps
- large number of accessory alternatives
- Google services (Chrome, GMail, etc.)
- capacitive touch inking (surprisingly good for passive-capacitive)
- capable ereader (aspect ratio and software offer a better experience)

Personally, I'm torn and frustrated by both the iPad 4 and Surface 2. Each are so close to being able to "do it all" for my use cases. I can't give up one for the other.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, if you are already bought into the Apple eco-system, you should stay in it. .
That's what girls who stay with abusive guys say and it's certainly no excuse to sell your soul to apple.

I have and Xbox, Surface, Windows Phone and a PC with 4 monitors. Everything is so connected it's awesome. I have friends who are heavy on apple, and I've seen their experiences,.. It's not for me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077