Surface 2 micro HDMI out - no audio working on TV?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I bought an inexpensive micro HDMI (D) to (A) cable (of course I had to trim the plastic at the micro end to compensate for the the Surface 2's beveled edge) and have successfully got the video working on our TV, but no audio. The sound is still coming from the tablet. Are there any settings I'm missing on the Surface 2 to control the audio output? I've been through every possible audio setting on the TV itself but found nothing.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Yes. With windows 8.1 audio out doesn't automatically switch to HDMI ... You have to open the audio settings in windows rt and select HDMI. I ended up placing a shortcut to it on the desktop for ease of access.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes. With windows 8.1 audio out doesn't automatically switch to HDMI ... You have to open the audio settings in windows rt and select HDMI. I ended up placing a shortcut to it on the desktop for ease of access.
Ah, thanks! I knew there had to be a setting in there somewhere... Oh, and I stole your idea for the shortcut! :) Now I'm trying to figure out how to pin that shortcut to my start screen as a tile.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I also noticed this issue and just went into sound settings to change all the time. The shortcut is a great idea. Gonna try that. Thanks for the tip.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes