Desktop environment

fleeper

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I was playing with a Surface RT at Best Buy today and I did not realize there was a traditional desktop available. Is it only Office that runs on the desktop or are there other applications which use this also? I have a very good desktop PC and an older heavy windows laptop. I am considering an RT device for casual use and for use in my business. I have my own business and would like to use a Surface RT for credit card purchase acceptance. Is this doable?

Does anyone here have experience using this device in this manner?

Thanks and any info much appreciated.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Just Office...anything else can only be installed from the store, due to the way the OS is written and the fact it doesn't run on an Intel based processor. For email, office work and PDF reading, the Surface RT should be more than adequate, but if you need to use specific software you will be out of luck. When you say "credit card purchase acceptance" I assume you have some form of accounting software (such as Sage or Quicken), in which case the Surface RT will be no good. The Surface Pro would be more useful in that scenario as it's just a normal PC in a tablet running full blown Windows 8/8.1.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Primarily Office and Explorer (the file browser and manager)

Advanced stuff is probably around like command prompt and control panel too.

Jose Casiano

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Office, outlook, Internet Explorer, file explorer, recycle bin you also have your tray available simple stuff you can do on almost any desktop just can't install any other program that doesn't come from the app store. It?s not bad I like it

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99