Help?? I need tablet buying advice!

gabejw54

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently in search of a windows tablet, but not sure which to get. Some background info: I'm a grad student and I want a tablet not to replace my laptop, but to take with me to campus ( because tablets are alot lighter in weight) and to be able to type papers, download and view pdfs, powerpoints, send emails and also to play games and watch Netflix. As well as web browsing etc..

I think I've narrowed down my choices to the surface 2, surface 1, or the Asus t100.

One big question I have is would I regret getting a surface RT rather than a surface pro? Is the difference between pro and RT worth the price? Also, of the tablets listed which would you all recommend, and why?

Gamingtothetop5

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I am also trying to buy a tablet. I'm not sure whether to get the Nexus 7, but it's what I'm leaning towards. It's ranked first here Best Tablets for the Money 2014 and looks like something that might be good for a first time tablet user, but does anyone have any other favorites? I don't want it any more expensive then $300

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am also trying to buy a tablet. I'm not sure whether to get the Nexus 7, but it's what I'm leaning towards. It's ranked first here Best Tablets for the Money 2014 and looks like something that might be good for a first time tablet user, but does anyone have any other favorites? I don't want it any more expensive then $300

Do know you have posted in a forum geared towards Windows phones, tablets (from the RT versions to the full-blown computer ones) which are conspicuously absent from that list. (Done by a random joe though.)

If you're looking for a Windows tablet, I've had a good experience with the Dell Venue 8 Pro, findable for around $200-250-300-ish.
(a bargain in my opinion)

but it comes down to, in a nutshell: big phone or small computer? Android and iOS for tablets are upscaled versions of the phone OSes, and Windows RT 8.x and 8.x are smaller computers. Both have pluses and minuses.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have had a Nexus 7(2013) and now have both Surface RT and Surface 2

I depends on what you want to do with your tablet. If you want loads of apps(some good and most cr@p) or just to browse the web then the Nexus is for you. If on the other hand you want to multitask or need a bigger screen then the Surface is for you.

With my Surface RT and using the tips and tricks on the first page in the sticky on the top of this forum it is faster than my Nexus 7 was but the Surface 2 with the same settings blows the Nexus into the weeds.

My first windows tablet was the Nokia 2520 but after getting the Surface RT to try I sold the Nokia and bought a Surface 2 and the reason I find the Surface line better than the Nokia is partly because of build quality but mainly because of the kick stand and touch/type covers.

If your coming from android to windows and you use a lot of apps then you may find windows limited. I had over 600 apps in my app list on android(between phone and tablet) however I now have less than 150 between windows 8.1 and WP and I have all the apps I need.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm currently in search of a windows tablet, but not sure which to get. Some background info: I'm a grad student and I want a tablet not to replace my laptop, but to take with me to campus ( because tablets are alot lighter in weight) and to be able to type papers, download and view pdfs, powerpoints, send emails and also to play games and watch Netflix. As well as web browsing etc..

I think I've narrowed down my choices to the surface 2, surface 1, or the Asus t100.

One big question I have is would I regret getting a surface RT rather than a surface pro? Is the difference between pro and RT worth the price? Also, of the tablets listed which would you all recommend, and why?

I went the Surface 2 route and couldn't be happier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6