Send/Receive SMS

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Guys,

I am planning on buying an RT based tablet, soon. My question is, do the SIM enabled tablets (the LTE edition of Surface 2 and Lumia 2520) support the sending and receiving of SMS from the default messaging app?

I guess since you can use a regular GSM SIM with these devices, it shouldn't be a problem (technically).

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't think there is an app for that - as they say.

On Windows devices (Surface, Nokia 2520) there is no messaging app. On Windows Phone devices (Nokia Lumia series, and others) there is an app which you can send SMS from.

The SIM is only meant for data usage, so you will find as with iPad's that have celluar you cant call or send SMS messages via the device. That said iOS8 will tether to your phone allowing you to send messages. So this could be possible in the future if MS wish to go down that route.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Strange. The Windows 8 Pro (not RT) had a messaging app (removed since 8.1). I assumed Microsoft would have let users send SMS etc via that app.

I was thinking of buying a Surface RT tablet for general browsing with a 3G SIM and the problem is that the operators in India send account related information via SMS. Would be mighty tiring to remove the SIM and connect it to a phone just to be able to read those messages.

I don't think there is an app for that - as they say.

On Windows devices (Surface, Nokia 2520) there is no messaging app. On Windows Phone devices (Nokia Lumia series, and others) there is an app which you can send SMS from.

The SIM is only meant for data usage, so you will find as with iPad's that have celluar you cant call or send SMS messages via the device. That said iOS8 will tether to your phone allowing you to send messages. So this could be possible in the future if MS wish to go down that route.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Strange. The Windows 8 Pro (not RT) had a messaging app (removed since 8.1). I assumed Microsoft would have let users send SMS etc via that app.

I was thinking of buying a Surface RT tablet for general browsing with a 3G SIM and the problem is that the operators in India send account related information via SMS. Would be mighty tiring to remove the SIM and connect it to a phone just to be able to read those messages.

The Windows 8 app you are thinking of was Windows Live(aka msn messenger). It was for IM, not SMS. It was replaced by Skype.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Aren't you able to connect your phone to your tablet and receive SMS calls on that? I thought someone said you could do it that way.

deshire

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Still looking for an sms app. Viber, ZipWhip whatever... they're not what windows tablet users look for!
We want to use our SIM cards to send/receive sms, we don't care that Viber etc.. are free, we want freedom of choice :<

Yasas Kolambage

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Yeah! This is a huge problem! I'm using a micro sim in my tablet.
My internet service provider only gives information via sms. I can't get the data usage information via sms to my tab. My phone does not support micro sims. So actually I am in dark till you find a solution. THIS IS FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION MICROSOFT TEAM
Please find a solution for this!!!

Christer Sjaunja

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
"To allow your tablet to receive network service provider notifications by text message when roaming, open the Operator Notifications app, and follow the instructions shown on your tablet"

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre