Do you regret buying a Surface 2?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget that almost any relevant site has a mobile version available these days for that touch optimized part. Apps do often allow for added functionality, though, which is why I use some apps over websites. It's probably preference and sorta what you are used to as well. I've never had an Android or iOS device, so I guess I'm just used to having to to just use the websites cos there weren't apps available anyways.

But if you take a look at non-mobile industry, it's going the exact opposite. There was a time when quite similarly alot of things had their own apps, but that has dramatically reduced and most of those things are now used through a browser. The touch optimization is probably the reason why mobile devices are going the opposite direction and having apps instead. But I still rather take a decent mobile website over downloading an app. Once again, there are exceptions. I do use a banking app on my phone even if I could use it in a browser.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Long story short:

Nope, don't regret it at all. But, that said, It doesn't really get much use anymore as I've discovered I prefer (in order): My PC, Lumia 520, Nexus 7. I've actually been debating putting my Surface 2 in the marketplace here to trade for a better phone....

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why everyone believes apps have to always have something to do with the web. For example, I wanted to do a network scan of my network from my Surface. Are there apps in the store for this? A couple. Do they work? Nope. I can still get out my 5 year old iPod Touch though and it does have apps that work very well for this type of thing. Do I really want to have to carry along my 5 year old iPod Touch along with the Surface 2? Not really. This is the type of example of what I mean with really bad apps in the App Store. I actually agree with using the browser when possible for web type activity. Another example would be, I want to keep my Checkbook reconciliation on my tablet. I had an app that worked very well on the old iPad I had. The only thing close I found that was halfway decent on the Surface was Checkbook HD. Last week I found mistakes in it that I couldn't explain how it could have been that way. That alone was enough to stop using it but then I also exported the data and the export format wasn't anything I could just import into another program. I had to edit the export file to get it into a format that would import into my desktop program correctly. Considering that there are standards out there already for this type of thing and yet this program didn't adhere to those standards just shows me how little care is put into the apps.

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I love my surface 2 for use in meetings and training's. I will be looking for a refurbished pro 3 down the road. I do not regret trading an old xp laptop to best buy for mines. I have co workers with laptops and mac books, but they take up a lot of room in relation to my surface. We have other tablet users, but they cant load cd roms. One guy uses his laptop to send documents to the cloud, then uses his ipad to retrieve it and view the items. Nothing like lugging a laptop and ipad to meetings.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
No, absolutely not. Surface 2 is fantastic for what I need. Microsoft just need to fix the problem with the display driver and I am all set! The browser is the best of the mobile platforms, and having a kickstand, a usb port and able to view two apps simultaneously is amazing! To people who says apps are bad on winrt, take a look at adobe reader for android, what a piece of garbage that is!
Android and iOS both have a lot of poor apps. The advantage that they have is that they have a lot of very good apps. Most android users never download adobe Reade on android. Similar to how most chrome users never use adobe reader.

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Well, if it weren't bad enough about the apps. Now Microsoft has started a fire sale of the Surface 2 less then a year from it's release. No real indication that there will ever be another RT device produced. My device just lost $100 worth of any value overnight, wonderful. I'm sure this will do just wonders for any more app development too.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Not at all. I had a Lumia 2520 Before and I enjoyed it however I find that I really do like the hardware of the Surface 2. It feels good in the hand as a tablet and the kickstand is great. I think purely as a tablet its very very good. quite flexible for my needs and can actually double as a laptop in some respects in a neat package especially with MS Office onboard. Apps? getting better however the browser is powerful enough to get by. Can't say that about most tablets. Overall a fine piece of tech that is good as a consumer device and as a productive tool.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't regret buying a Surface 2 even though I sold it to pay for a Toshiba Encore 2. I regret RT tablets not reaching the sub $200 price point before regular Windows. IMO, price was RT's biggest obstacle.

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I 100% agree I have a Surface RT 64G (got it for $179), use it every day... eyeing the Toshiba Encore Mini 7 (full windows 8.1), the price $119 with full office for a year... Windows RT 8.1 with Office has so much potential, Microsoft so missed the marketing and the price...

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought an Encore 2 as well, HeyCori. It's a very nice tablet. I'm also eyeing the Encore Mini. If it is anything like the Encore 2, I'll definitely buy it.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't regret it, I just don't like how easily the paint is chipping from the corners. And the sticker thing that holds the kickstand has weird scratches that... Rubbed the sticker paint off? I don't even know.

But the software and hardware are a dream! Not including the tegra chip..

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't regret it, I just don't like how easily the paint is chipping from the corners. And the sticker thing that holds the kickstand has weird scratches that... Rubbed the sticker paint off? I don't even know.

But the software and hardware are a dream! Not including the tegra chip..

What do you mean by "not including the tegra chip" Isn't that the most important part?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I was seriously considering an RT tablet till I read this thread.

Modern combat 5 is what I want one for. But I want the ability to record the screen and possibly Skype with my teammates at the same time.... I have a feeling that neither of these would be possible now.

I can play Modern Combat 5 and use Skype on my Surface 2 no problem..

Also, No... I don't regret purchasing my Surface 2! Because I didn't... I won it!!! lol :evil grin:

Seriously though, I think it's a fantastic device! Whoever it was that said he can't browse his network in this thread obviously didn't try or use Remote Desktop which works perfectly for this, as well as running x86 applications remotely.

I use my Surface 2 every night to watch movies in bed using PLEX (my most used app on the device)! Simply LOVE it!!

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by "not including the tegra chip" Isn't that the most important part?

The tegra chip sucks.... It gets hot so quickly... So badly.. Not just on windows, but on any device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12