Surface RT wont boot!

Masrati

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone would have an insight or would be able to help me with my issue?

My surface RT recently became stuck on the surface splash screen and will not advance, I have tried refreshing it etc but it wont even bring up that menu. Is it possible to recover at all or is it an expensive paperweight?
I bought it from someone off ebay so cant even use the sale of goods act to get MS to repair or replace it through that despite it already having had a warranty repair for a separate issue.

I have tried searching various forums and the internet but there doesn't seem to be much information so if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated!

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi ! have you tried volume down along with the power button for 20/60 second hold. Also, you could head to winrtsource.com . more surface tricks and tips there.

Masrati

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have tried the volume down with power button, sometimes it flashes up the surface splash screen quickly once or twice but at the end of it always the same result.
Thanks for the suggestion I shall go look there and see if there is any way to resolve my issue

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone would have an insight or would be able to help me with my issue?

My surface RT recently became stuck on the surface splash screen and will not advance, I have tried refreshing it etc but it wont even bring up that menu. Is it possible to recover at all or is it an expensive paperweight?
I bought it from someone off ebay so cant even use the sale of goods act to get MS to repair or replace it through that despite it already having had a warranty repair for a separate issue.

I have tried searching various forums and the internet but there doesn't seem to be much information so if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated!

Maybe it's a sign that you should upgrade to a surface pro 3 ;)

Masrati

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Would love to upgrade to it, could replace the laptop too, but the small matter of funds is going to put a stop to that 😒

And yes I have tried the USB stick and refreshing it but I cant even get a menu to do that!

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
If it's not even booting from the USB recovery drive then you might have bricked it. Best thing to do probably would be to contact Microsoft and see what they have to say about it. Perhaps they have another fix that you can try.

Masrati

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I did nothing to brick it, simply went to use it one day to find it warm to the touch and on the surface screen. I have contacted MS and tried everything they suggested however I refuse to pay ?150 to repair/replace it when the fault may be relatively simple and cheap, not only that but its only a little bit more to upgrade to the surface 2 now.

At the moment I just want to see if it is recoverable before making a decision as to what else to do as I am not exactly flush with cash at this moment in time!

Masrati

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well found out what the issue was, the Tegra 3 chip had over heated, quite an easy fix to do myself and only cost ?30 rather than the ?150 MS wanted

Masrati

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
What more info do you need? I had to replace the logic board the CPU/GPU was on. I remember now that before it completely went, the screen would "chequerboard" in a few apps which in hindsight indicates a GPU fault.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
This happened to my wife's Surface 2, contacted MS, first they sent out a boot stick but it wouldn't boot from that so they just sent out a replacement Surface 2, service was fantastic.

Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077