How To Stop Forced Update to Windows 8.1 on Surface RT?

kkevin8976

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I would like to know how to stop forced update to Windows 8.1 on Surface RT?

I get a blue pop up on Surface RT Windows 8, that is going to force me to update to 8.1.

I am happy with Windows 8, and would like to turn off this automatic update.

It is giving me increasingly limited options from a few days, down to a few hours now, to delay it, and will probably be forced on me next time I turn it on.

I need to disable this now, before I don't have the choice anymore. Please help!

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
8.1 is just an updated version of 8.0. It has so many performance improvements and stuff. There is no reason not to update to 8.1. You'll be severely limited if you don't update.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to help but I have been using 8.1 for a year now, not sure I can understand any reason to stick with 8 - app updates, driver updates, security updates, system stability. It is possible for you to keep the same start screen look if youre in to that, but you really should not wait.

kkevin8976

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't want Windows 8.1 because I have to reinstall all the apps I have, and the settings for Windows, because they will reset, right?

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't want Windows 8.1 because I have to reinstall all the apps I have, and the settings for Windows, because they will reset, right?
No - everything will be retained. It will be a smooth seamless update, but it will take quite some time to download and install. Your Surface will run smoother and happier.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No - everything will be retained. It will be a smooth seamless update, but it will take quite some time to download and install. Your Surface will run smoother and happier.

Not only that but if the OP doesn't update they won't get any more updates to both the firmware and the OS.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Staying on 8.0 isn't worth that. 8.1 improved stability and has many nice new features to make it easier to use. With 8.0 you don't get the security updates or anything. It's not worth it, 8.0 is crap compared to 8.1.
That's a different issue.

you asked "wth are you talking about?" Given that you weren't aware of jail breaking the RT I'd say that your opinion on the merits of jail breaking don't count for much.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
That's a different issue.

you asked "wth are you talking about?" Given that you weren't aware of jail breaking the RT I'd say that your opinion on the merits of jail breaking don't count for much.

I knew you could do that. I didn't realize it's called "jailbreaking", since that's a word mostly associated with iOS. Considering I'm a tech geek, I think my opinion does count for much. I have my own custom gaming rig, and have been studying PC software and hardware for the past 6 years.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I knew you could do that. I didn't realize it's called "jailbreaking", since that's a word mostly associated with iOS. Considering I'm a tech geek, I think my opinion does count for much. I have my own custom gaming rig, and have been studying PC software and hardware for the past 6 years.

Just happened to wander by this thread and wanted to give you a little advice: that post makes you sound like you're 12 years old and it is not helping you win the argument. Also not helping is the fact that building a "gaming" PC doesn't require any particular talent, and "studying PC software and hardware for the past 6 years" is a garbage statement without substance.
No one likes a peacock.

Moving on;
If someone had bought the device with the intention of jailbreaking (like I was), or has otherwised jailbroken and actively uses programs that require this, then no, 8.1 is not worth the upgrade. Now that I know that, until further notice, I must choose between 8.1 and jailbreaking, I have no intention of getting an RT device anymore...

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Just happened to wander by this thread and wanted to give you a little advice: that post makes you sound like you're 12 years old and it is not helping you win the argument. Also not helping is the fact that building a "gaming" PC doesn't require any particular talent, and "studying PC software and hardware for the past 6 years" is a garbage statement without substance.
No one likes a peacock.

Moving on;
If someone had bought the device with the intention of jailbreaking (like I was), or has otherwised jailbroken and actively uses programs that require this, then no, 8.1 is not worth the upgrade. Now that I know that, until further notice, I must choose between 8.1 and jailbreaking, I have no intention of getting an RT device anymore...

I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. Just wanted to point out that I did know that that was possible. Didn't know how else to word it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss