Google does not function properly in Surface RT

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
My wife does not use the Microsoft Surface (original) I got for her last Christmas.

Tonite she got it out after not using for 6 months and was trying to use it and again got so frustrated with it she just wanted ti throw it in the garbage.

I finally saw what her problem was. When she is in the Metro IE, and she goes to Google (Google) and perform a search. ANY search from what I saw. And clicks on any link from the search result, she can;t go back to the original result list. It tries to..it looks like it's going back to Google. it sits there for a second, then goes back to the page she clicked on.

I tried this with many searches and it did the same.

She is looking at me as I am in IT but I am at a loss. I know my I-5 Asus Windows 8.1 tablet does not have this problem.

Is it because the tablet is so slow???

Anyone have any help or suggestions they can provide for a fix? She is running 8.1.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My wife does not use the Microsoft Surface (original) I got for her last Christmas.

Tonite she got it out after not using for 6 months and was trying to use it and again got so frustrated with it she just wanted ti throw it in the garbage.

I finally saw what her problem was. When she is in the Metro IE, and she goes to Google (Google) and perform a search. ANY search from what I saw. And clicks on any link from the search result, she can;t go back to the original result list. It tries to..it looks like it's going back to Google. it sits there for a second, then goes back to the page she clicked on.

I tried this with many searches and it did the same.

She is looking at me as I am in IT but I am at a loss. I know my I-5 Asus Windows 8.1 tablet does not have this problem.

Is it because the tablet is so slow???

Anyone have any help or suggestions they can provide for a fix? She is running 8.1.

I just tried on my RT and didn't have your problem. I tried it a few times all was ok. If this was not used for a few months are all the updates installed. I have also noticed that if your C: drive is nearly full it will react very poorly. How good is your router, check your speed here: Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Finally why not just use Bing because as long as MS & Google are having their little cold war things like this may happen. I know that with IE 11 on my desktop which has do not track selected and I have a couple of lists selected in my tracking protection enabled that I cannot run many videos and slide shows. I then switch to Firefox but that is on a desktop.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
do you have the address bar always showing on the screen? that helps with navigation. you can always swipe back to the previous page.

also, have you tried the desktop version of IE on the Surface RT? the Surface RT still has 2 versions of IE (Modern and desktop). The desktop version is better with caching previous content so that it's not reloading every time you access a page.

The Modern version appears to almost always reload the page and considering how slow web browsing can be on the Surface RT, it makes it more painful. There's a setting for the app that helps out with caching.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned, Surface RT can get super-slow if disk space is low which is easy on that device. Try and keep at least 5GB free.

Factory resets can sometimes help with all this.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
realwarder is definitely correct on that. Surface RT gets really really slow if disk space drops low. I always keep at bare minimum 4 GB free space.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea