Surface 3 cases

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Just got notice that my pre-ordered S3 has shipped! Now I'm looking for a folio-style case for it.

Online searches show only the Pro 3 cases - is there anything available for the plain 3? I don't want a keyboard cover, I pair my current Windows tablet with my BlackBerry Passport, and I have an excellent keyboard and trackpad in a much smaller package. I don't want a pouch either. Should I simply give up and adapt a leather notebook cover to fit the tablet? Has anyone done a similar hack for another tablet?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
There is a BlackBerry app called Blue TouchPad which pairs Bluetooth enabled devices, so I can use my Passport as a BT keyboard and touchpad. I can also use it as a remote control for media playback on the tablet.

I re-checked aliexpress, and there are a few mediocre cases available, but nothing I'd want to use. I don't think S3 is the same size as any of the previous Surface tablets. It has a 3:2 aspect ratio, which is different from pretty much anything else on the market - all other tablets are either 4:3 or 16:9 or thereabouts.

I might get one of the crappy cases just for the plastic holder frame and put it in a real leather folio.

4everForever

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
There is a BlackBerry app called Blue TouchPad which pairs Bluetooth enabled devices, so I can use my Passport as a BT keyboard and touchpad. I can also use it as a remote control for media playback on the tablet.

I re-checked aliexpress, and there are a few mediocre cases available, but nothing I'd want to use. I don't think S3 is the same size as any of the previous Surface tablets. It has a 3:2 aspect ratio, which is different from pretty much anything else on the market - all other tablets are either 4:3 or 16:9 or thereabouts.

I might get one of the crappy cases just for the plastic holder frame and put it in a real leather folio.

Cool! I didn't know there is such app from BlackBerry. I have a Passport too, seem like I don't need to buy the expensive keyboard for my pre ordered surface 3 =)

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Cool! I didn't know there is such app from BlackBerry. I have a Passport too, seem like I don't need to buy the expensive keyboard for my pre ordered surface 3 =)

That's right, you don't. All the typing functions of the Passport work, so you can swipe up to select words, swipe down for numbers, etc. There are a couple of glitches with the app - when you first open it and start typing, the first letter is not capitalized, so you need to backspace and type it again. Also, passwords are displayed on the Passport screen, so you have to be careful that nobody is watching you login. As soon as you hit Enter, the password disappears. Otherwise, it's great, and the dev provides excellent support.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
A case made for the Surface 2 should work with the Surface 3

They've changed the dimensions of the device, the Surface 2 has a 16:9 screen ratio whereas the Surface 3 has a 3:2 screen ratio (basically the Surface 3 is thinner in width to accommodate the 3:2 ratio) so the Surface 3 could fit into a Surface 2 case but it would look rather strange :(

Last edited:

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Just got notice that my pre-ordered S3 has shipped! Now I'm looking for a folio-style case for it.

Online searches show only the Pro 3 cases - is there anything available for the plain 3? I don't want a keyboard cover, I pair my current Windows tablet with my BlackBerry Passport, and I have an excellent keyboard and trackpad in a much smaller package. I don't want a pouch either. Should I simply give up and adapt a leather notebook cover to fit the tablet? Has anyone done a similar hack for another tablet?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I know that Microsoft currently sells folio cases for the Surface Pro 3, and I wouldn't be surprised if they sell Folio cases for the Surface 3 either. If your looking for a 'rugged' case I would consider the Trident Cyclops case (on tridents website) which completely covers the tablet, even the keyboard port, or if that's a bit too heavy on the wallet you could try the UAG case(s) which have a pen holder and are available in either red or black.

Last edited:

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, the cases available in the online MS store are awful. MS is trying to sell the keyboard covers, so there is no incentive for them to have good quality cases. And now I've noticed that manufacturers are calling synthetic polyurethane 'leather' and even 'genuine leather'. Only in the fine print do you see 'PU'. I'll see if I can adapt one of the iPad cases, at least those are available in leather that comes from a cow.

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm waiting for Waterfield Designs to release their high-end cases and sleeves that they have for the Surface 3 Pro for the Surface 3. Their website says Surface 3 versions will be coming soon. Their Outback Solo design is calling me....

Man0fSteel

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I kind of want the Blue one... but I don't know how cheap it looks in real life. I won't be able to pick up my Surface 3 for a week or so, hopefully they'll have one or two at the store when I do.

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Waterfield Design (www.sfbags.com) now has four cases/sleeves available that are sized for the Surface 3. They are listed in the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 section of their website. I just ordered their Outback Solo case for my new Surface 3.

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I ended up buying a leather (the cow kind) folio case in the MS store in Yorkdale, Toronto, for 25% less than the Best Buy price! Beautiful case and a sweet deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro