Asus T300 Chi vs Surface 3

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Buy ASUS Transformer Book T300 Chi Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC - Microsoft Store

12.5-inch Full HD touchscreen
Intel Core M-5Y10c
4GB memory/128GB SSD
All aluminum body
Keyboard dock included
$700

Surface 3
10.8-inch Full HD touchscreen
Intel Atom Z8700
4GB memory/128GB SSD
Magnesium-alloy body
Keyboard = $130 addon
$730

In terms of performance, the Core M blows away the Atom x7. It even blows away the Core i3 in the Surface Pro. If I wanted to get a tablet that could perform double-duty as a laptop, I'd pick the T300 Chi.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Buy ASUS Transformer Book T300 Chi Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC - Microsoft Store

12.5-inch Full HD touchscreen
Intel Core M-5Y10c
4GB memory/128GB SSD
All aluminum body
Keyboard dock included
$700

Surface 3
10.8-inch Full HD touchscreen
Intel Atom Z8700
4GB memory/128GB SSD
Magnesium-alloy body
Keyboard = $130 addon
$730

In terms of performance, the Core M blows away the Atom x7. It even blows away the Core i3 in the Surface Pro. If I wanted to get a tablet that could perform double-duty as a laptop, I'd pick the T300 Chi.

When you pick and choose the things you want to compare you can make a lot of things look better/worse then they are.

Wildo6882

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Just to play Devil's Advocate, Endgadget reviewed the QHD version, that you can't get from the Microsoft Store. They each have their pluses and minuses. The Chi is a better computer first, tablet second. The Surface 3 is a better tablet first, computer second. I went with the S3 based on what I wanted. I would understand if someone wanted to go with the Chi over the S3. Especially right now, the Microsoft Store has $100 off, so it's $599 before taxes for the Chi.

howie

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
You could also look at the Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 at Best Buy. Comes with Core M, 4GB RAM, and keyboard (but only 64GB SSD). $499 right now (from $750).

exaybachay01

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Both devices are interesting to me, but the DV11P more so. I wrote a long & winding comment on another thread concerning it, as I'd like to pick it up but the models at 3 different best buy stores all were running very very warm to hot in a neutral state. I've seen reviews from reputable sources mention this a d I wondered if it was fixable/avoidable.

The only thing that angers me about the applicable reviews for the T300 chi & dv11p 7140 are HIGH end models with the 5y71 core m chip where as the Microsoft store & best buy variations have the 5y10 chipste. As I would hope the numbers wouldn't be too glaringly different I'd love to see benchmarks of the lower chip to help me decide on the device.

Wildo6882

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Both devices are interesting to me, but the DV11P more so. I wrote a long & winding comment on another thread concerning it, as I'd like to pick it up but the models at 3 different best buy stores all were running very very warm to hot in a neutral state. I've seen reviews from reputable sources mention this a d I wondered if it was fixable/avoidable.

The only thing that angers me about the applicable reviews for the T300 chi & dv11p 7140 are HIGH end models with the 5y71 core m chip where as the Microsoft store & best buy variations have the 5y10 chipste. As I would hope the numbers wouldn't be too glaringly different I'd love to see benchmarks of the lower chip to help me decide on the device.
Have you decided on anything yet? I think the lower Core M on the T300 is fine for just about everything, and the FHD screen seems to provide better battery life. Problem is, everyone who has reviewed it keeps reviewing the UHD one. So without using one, we don't know much. It's also $599 on the Microsoft Store right now, which is $130 less than the S3 with Type Cover. Makes it a really tough decision. I really just want something for light browsing, travel, and a little work if I need it in a pinch.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
It is a nice device if you don't need a pen.

I personally prefer the type cover of Surface - just flip it back and you can use as a tablet. And the kickstand allows the tablet to stand nicely on the desk. The Atom x7 processor is more than enough for typical desktop programs and multi-tasking.

exaybachay01

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Have you decided on anything yet? I think the lower Core M on the T300 is fine for just about everything, and the FHD screen seems to provide better battery life. Problem is, everyone who has reviewed it keeps reviewing the UHD one. So without using one, we don't know much. It's also $599 on the Microsoft Store right now, which is $130 less than the S3 with Type Cover. Makes it a really tough decision. I really just want something for light browsing, travel, and a little work if I need it in a pinch.

I have gone back a couple times to try the dv11p and t300 chi. I'm not a fan of the keyboard on the chi for some reason (can't completely put my finger on it.) I'm a little disappointed that the kb is Bluetooth only, and that it takes a bit of force to get it out, feels like I'm adding too much pressure pushing on it. The micro-usb only is also a small niggley bit, but also it matters still.

The dv11p's I used again were still very very warm to hot with basic tasks and while wasn't the hugest issue in landscape, when using it in tablet mode it's an issue due to hand placement. The lack of kickstand is an issue. I know that can be rectified by buying an add on, but that being a quibble that people have with the S3, so that's a weighable issue (same with spending to get the good battery keyboard).

exaybachay01

May 14, 2015
Visit site
OK, so I stumbled upon something interesting concerning the dv11p 7140 that I haven't seen anywhere else (and am surprised that NO REVIEWS mentioned), but it turns out that the Core M 5Y10 chip was actually discontinued almost a month before the device released. The 5y70, 5Y10 & 5Y10a were all announced as discontinued before any items carrying them were put to market, without any reason cited.

This doesn't effect the higher end DV11P (that sells for $900 on up) as it has the 5Y71 inside. The T300 chip is also OK as the low/med iterations have the 5Y10c chip.

It seems really weird that this flew under the radar, and that Intel didn't give a reason, though that was probably to sell devices until different tablets with the new chips could be released. It does fall into line with the weird heat output that I experienced and a few reviews cited.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb