First day camera and home button problems and solutions, UK 128Gb model

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Surface 3 and thought I'd post my experiences in case they help someone else.

From out-of-the-box state, I immediately did Windows Update, so I don't know if these problems were there pre-update or not.

Anyway, number one, the camera didn't work, the app gave a message about there being a problem with the camera, and then closed.
Solution: I uninstalled the camera driver through Device Manager (didn't delete the driver), restarted twice, and then it worked fine. So, I guess the driver was corrupted.

Number two, the home button didn't do anything, just gave haptic feedback but didn't close the app or go back to the home screen.
Solution: I used the Refresh option in Settings - Update - Recovery. Now the Home button works as it should.
(Note: the Refresh wiped Office apps off the Surface, I had to deactivate it in my account before it allowed a reinstall.)

Surface Support were very good for no 2, using the online chat.

ADufresne

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I've also had problem number #2 (non-functioning home button) since day one. Have installed all recommended updates so next up is a Refresh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster