Camtasia on Surface 3

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how much better Camtasia has gotten. But I used it 2 years ago and that's a serious resource hog. It could bring a powerful desktop PC to its knees if you want smooth recording (and judging by Youtube videos, many of the recordings are laggy but people deal with it because of how easy it is to record with Camtasia). I wouldn't anticipate Surface 3 doing a good job.

I could try it out but my version is old. I use a hardware encoder to record nowadays (Hauppauge HD PVR 2).

Heidi Mueller

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I have used Camtasia on a Windows 7 desktop for years without a problem. But I can't install it on my Surface 2. I am considering the surface 3 and wondered if anyone has actually done that?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'll try it out and post a video of what a recorded video looks like from a Surface 3. What settings do you record at (resolution and frame rate)? I kind of have high expectations as I want minimum 30 frames per second at 1080p for all of my recordings (I have a Youtube channel). I couldn't achieve smooth framerates with Camtasia (they came out like most Camtasia videos I see on Youtube)

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Well, this stinks. I still don't have 10 posts so I'm not allowed to post links. I used Camtasia to record and render a short video of me writing in the OneNote app. I'm considering using the S3 in class and writing on a OneNote page when I answer my students' questions. I usually just use a regular white board but sometimes students struggle to take notes that they can understand. Being able to record my explanations and post them might help those students.

The video is private so you can't search for it, either.

Anyway, I recorded full-screen and rendered after applying volume leveling and noise removal. I'm satisfied with how things worked for this 2-minute video so I will be trying this in class for real tomorrow morning. I'll connect the S3 to a VGA overhead projector so the effect for the students will be similar to the white board. Instead of having to erase the board, I can just create a new blank page.

Wish I could share the video. It's not a great video by any means, but it plays on YouTube just like it plays on the computer and it's pretty realistic for what I actually did.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I made it public. The video is named whiteboardtest and the user name is hogtrapms. It is NOT ready for prime-time, but maybe it will give you an idea whether using Camtasia on your S3 is worth trying.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I use a Plantronics 478 USB headset. The onboard mic will not give you decent sound. I used to record with a bluetooth headset (various Jawbones) but had nothing but trouble with them as far as battery life went. Then I used a Plantronics, but sound quality is just so much better with a corded headset. I don't really like being "tied" to the computer but I can't expect my students to listen to hours of videos with distracting background noise.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Earlier post said I put it on YouTube and described how to find it. Does that not work?

I recorded a Q&A session using the pen and OneNote as a white board but the projector went to lala land a few minutes in. I think it's a projector problem, though, because it did the same thing with a different computer just two days before, same computer I'd used for the previous three semesters without any problems. Maybe I'll see what I can do to post at least some of that tomorrow. It won't make much sense because it's very specifically technical, but it does give an idea how the recording process works.

Heidi Mueller

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I missed that it was on YouTube. I checked it out and it was fine. It gives me a sense of what is possible. My courses at also technical so it helps to know. Thanks again.
Heidi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb