Official MS tempered glass screen protector for Surface 3

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone here get the official Microsoft tempered glass screen protector for the surface 3? It's pricey but it seems there are no other options at this stage beyond some shops customising a normal non glass protector. I'm particularly mindful of the slim speaker slits on the sides and should I ever get the very expensive dock, that I wouldn't be stuck.

Here's also hoping to finding a store here in Singapore which will apply it for me too as o have a bad track record!

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Are there and third party ones available yet?
I know its not relevant, but I'm using a third party tempered glass screen protector for my Surface Pro 3, and its working fine - it was about ?20 cheaper than Microsoft's official screen protector!!!

Also, as for applying the screen protector (if you go for a third party screen protector) I would go into a dust free area (outside) I would then pre-align the screen protector and secure this with tape, to produce a hinge, so you don't have to bother spending precious time aligning the screen protector where dust could get trapped, then peel back the screen protector and apply it before carefully getting rid of any air bubbles and removing the tape... alternatively you could just skip this, get the official screen protector and let Microsoft do the hard work for you! :winktongue:

Hope this helps!

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately there are only the genuine ones available at this stage for Surface 3, At best the shops here are able to custom cut to fit the Surface 3 but given the thin speakers at the sides, I'm reluctant to go for a custom fit when I'd rather just wait for a factory cut one.

Fingers crossed some tempered glass ones come out soon but I think the Surface 3 isn't that popular in Asia given it's price tag and lack of non genuine channels.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I have the MS tempered glass screen protector and highly recommend it. The protector is custom cut to fit the Surface 3 exactly. It takes into account the speakers so it isn't covering them up. Yeah, it was expensive at $50 (U.S.) but the employee at the MS store installed it for free. I actually bought two: one for my Surface 3 and one for my fiance's Surface 3. They installed mine without any issues but the employee accidentally dropped my fiance's screen protector. Needless to say the sticky end was covered in dirt, dust, fuzz, and hair. They took a new one out of the box and installed it instead, they only charged us for one.

The MS screen protector feels just as smooth as the screen and I don't have any touch or Pen issues. Like I said, it might be expensive but it's well worth it. There are other 3rd party screen protectors coming out but they are all plastic films at this point.

jschu22

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Does the type cover magnet still stick to the screen? I purchased a Zagg glass one but interferes with the magnets that allow the keyboard to stay attached to the screen.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Yep. The magnet in the Type Cover that puts the Surface 3 to sleep works as does the secondary magnet for angled typing. The MS tempered glass screen protector doesn't interfere with anything whether it's the magnets, speakers, dock, cases, or anything else. My biggest gripe is that it is just as glossy as the Surface 3's display and it attracts fingerprints just as easily. I usually end up wiping my display every 3-4 days with a microfiber cloth. But that would hold true for any non-anti-glare screen protector.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos