What is the Surface 3 LTE availability?

Greg Cimmarrusti

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Surface 3 LTE Availability . . .

Hello all, I am interested in the Surface 3 with LTE capability through Verizon. Originally the Microsoft Store's website stated that it would be available on June 26th, now it states that you can sign up for availability notification by email. I want the surface 3 now but the functionality of having LTE while doing the "Park and Ride" to work would be fantastic. Does anyone know if it is coming soon or is this a "Fall" thing? I went to Verizon and the salesman had no clue. I contacted the Microsoft tech support and they can not discuss timing of availability. Any help would be appreciated . . .

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Surface 3 LTE Availability . . .

For tethering, you need to turn on the phone, wait for the wifi hotspot to be available (several seconds at least), choose the hotspot from Surface 3, and wait for connection to be established. The whole process typically takes more than 20 seconds. If you are holding the tablet, it is inconvenient to take out the phone to turn on internet sharing.

And tethering is not stable. Sometimes the speed is unacceptably low (but internet speed is normal if using the phone, at the same time). This should not be the problem of WP - tethering is also not stable for iPhone.

Once you have experienced the super convenience of an LTE-enabled tablet, you most probably would not consider Wifi-only tablet anymore. This is especially true if you intend to use the tablet a lot outdoor.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

If you have a Windows Phone you don't need to take it out of you pocket.
It launches immediately when you select it under the WiFi settings.
If you really want to keep making the cell phone companies rich its up to you.
I suspect battery life will be quite compromised as well.

no2apple

May 20, 2015
Visit site

Can we stop getting free advice on using hotspot and provide any useful info on LTE availability....

Roveit

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Video on Youtube of Japan Surface 3 LTE unboxing - I can't post the link
In line with prediction so hopefully 26 June for US and soon after for rest of world.
Impatiently holding off getting a Surface 3 until LTE model. Use cellular on my iPad and wouldn't be without it. Hotspot clumsy in comparison.
Microsoft Surface 3 and LTE - The Empire Strikes back and what a fabulous device to do it with!

Roveit

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Am I the only one that can see a Surface 3 with LTE running Windows 10 Professional as the object of desire for many business users? Hats off to the the Micrsosoft Surface Team by sticking to the device and improving it seems akin to Apple's approach to the MacBook Air range. So refreshing versus the usual Windows here today gone tomorrow device. Can't wait for my Surface 3!

Roveit

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
In New Zealand for years we have had cellular iPads you can connect to your network of choice. America the land of the free seems so restrictive with the carrier dominance! The surface LTE will be the same here.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
In New Zealand for years we have had cellular iPads you can connect to your network of choice. America the land of the free seems so restrictive with the carrier dominance! The surface LTE will be the same here.

I thought you can buy sim-free iPads in the US too? After owning an iPad 3 with 3G, I couldn't go back to wifi only tablets and bought the iPad Air 2 with 4G. To anyone who thinks tethering to a hotspot is the same- it isn't. Nothing beats the true always on/always connected tablets.

ps. Is NZ LTE any faster now? When I was living/working in NZ I topped out at 5Mbps or so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos