What is the largest SDXC card which works well with a Surface 3?

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a 64gb SDXC card in my Surface 3 but was wondering if I should consider upgrading to a 128gb/256gb/512gb SDXC card. I have a lot of media (and actually use my 1tb OneDrive account a lot) but was keen to add more storage as long as it doesn't compromise the system's performance (i.e. don't want to end up with a horrendously slow machine). Has anyone here experimented with very large memory cards in their Surface 3 yet?

DLCPhototography

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I have a Sandisk Ultra 128gb MicroSD card, and it works fine.

You do have to be careful, though, as it's not uncommon for various cards of various sizes and manufacturers to simply 'disappear' from the Operating System at times. I had a Lexar 633x 128gb Card which did this. It mounted fine, but then when I was doing various operations, plugging in other devices through the USB port, it would simply unmount itself and be unavailable.

It isn't clear whether this is with certain particular Brands and Models, defective cards from various manufacturers, driver instability, or what. You can do some searching of this and other forums, as there is quite a lot of discussion on the matter.

I also found this on Microsoft's website:

You can use USB storage or a microSD card of any size with your Surface to store your documents, music, videos, and pictures. Surface works with standard microSD card formats—microSD, microSDHC, and microSDXC.​

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I second the 128gb cards working fine. I've had one in mine since I got it a few weeks ago and it's performed without issue.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys.

The $1000 card looks appealing but like all good things, prices will drop to more sensible levels in the short to medium term. I'm thinking 128gb or 256gb would be more than enough for some photos/movies/documents for me.

I actually have a friend who isn't very techy, wants a Surface 3 and wants a place to store lots of her photos so I suggested a decent memory card and use OneDrive as well.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
The $1000 card looks appealing but like all good things, prices will drop to more sensible levels in the short to medium term. I'm thinking 128gb or 256gb would be more than enough for some photos/movies/documents for me.

They don't make 256GB microSDXC cards. Remember that the Surface 3 has a microSDXC card slot, not a standard SDXC card slot. Right now capacities are limited to 128GB as that is the largest sized microSDXC card you can currently purchase. SanDisk is coming out with a 200GB card in the future that should work with devices that are compatible with 128GB cards. Microdia will be releasing a 512GB card but it isn't guaranteed to work with current devices just how not all devices work with 128GB microSDXC card despite having microSDXC card slots, not unless the manufacturer of the device says otherwise.

ernvonco

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
In my experience the 64 GB is the biggest. I tried with a Samsung 128GB EVO SDXC Class 10 microSD card and it kept getting the "drive" dismounted. I had to buy a 64GB.
I have a Surface 3 128 GB WiFi model. The Pro models handle better the bigger sizes of SDXCs.

rusty502

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
In my experience the 64 GB is the biggest. I tried with a Samsung 128GB EVO SDXC Class 10 microSD card and it kept getting the "drive" dismounted. I had to buy a 64GB.
I have a Surface 3 128 GB WiFi model. The Pro models handle better the bigger sizes of SDXCs.

It sounds like you may have a bad card, we have 5 128GB Surface 3s in my office, all running either 128 or 200GB micro SD cards without a single hiccup.

paardi

Jun 3, 2019
Visit site
Hello to everybody here. I'm grouping on this old thread because I got a Surface 3 last year and I have a great problem with the actual size of 64 GB. It's sooooo annoying that there aren't anymore acceptable built-in devices for storing the system AND storing all programs and apps in all these new computers.
WHY oh WHY do we have to use external HDD's for storing?? :devil: It was great to have everything in the laptop and no need to fetch all HDD or DVD devices extra.
Ooookay, I'll buy a 128 GB card - but first the question (!) - - will that afford the amount of store which Office apps and Adobe CC apps will need?????? The onedrive Store is nice, yeah, but you need to be online and I think it's only for storing files.
So I will need an external device to use my many apps?? What a nonsense - to have an almost lightweighted lap with little store but need to plug in something external and squeeze that somehow somewhere :eck:

drowhunter

Mar 8, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys.

I actually have a friend who isn't very techy, wants a Surface 3 and wants a place to store lots of her photos so I suggested a decent memory card and use OneDrive as well.

You were so right its 2020 now and 51q2gb sdcards are less than $100

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes