Surface 3 vs 2

WillBthr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I have to admit, other than not being able to install "normal" Windows programs in my old Surface 2 (obviously) I am loving my Surface 3 but don't see any real benefits over the Surface 2 other than this huge obvious. Maybe S3 is slightly faster. For just consumption I've been switching back and forth and no disadvantage at all with S2. The scratch pad (mouse control) is better on S3 optional keyboard. S3 is slightly lighter too. If I knew what I know now I guess I would have saved a grand (S3 128g keyboard, dock, 128G MicroSD card and California sales tax) and been perfectly happy with my S2. The second obvious issue is Win 10 and using the latest beta on a Thinkpad I'll be sticking with 8.1 unless there are dramatic changes between now and the end of July.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Running a full version of windows is a big deal for me. This means having a choice of multiple desktop browsers. And I am also able to stream Steam games to my S3. If you are into gaming, it is really nice to have the choice to play any PC game available on a portable tablet using Steam's in-home streaming option.

The future for the S3 is also a huge point. Since it is full windows, it will get access to Windows 10 plus all the universal apps that will be developed in the future. I just don't have a lot of confidence that those same apps will be available for RT (I could be wrong).

Is it worth $1000? I definitely don't value it that high for sure. But with my trade-in of the S2, and since I am still using my old type cover, I only spent about $450 for the S3. To me, that was definitely worth it.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
There are more advantages too. The display is larger and the aspect ratio (3:2) is a lot better for web browsing and taking notes. There's also compatibility with the Pen that puts it above and beyond the Surface 2. It will also be seeing updates down the line while the Surface 2 is done seeing those. That means the Surface 3 will run the next version of Office, the next version of Skype (which will be a desktop program ONLY), the new browser from MS, etc.

No, there are a lot more advantages that the Surface 3 has over the Surface 2. Don't forget that Windows 10 is not in its final stages and shouldn't be used until the OEM of your device releases proper drivers. Until then it will be a buggy experience just like with any beta OS (Windows or not). The beta for Windows 8 was pretty damn buggy in my VM back before the final version came out.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I think the OP believes the S3 is better than the S2, he is just questioning is the money for the S3 is worth the difference. The S2 is still getting updates (I just got one yesterday) and don't forget it is getting a Win10 update (what ever that is going to be). I considered a S3 but for what I do my S2 still gets the job done.

WillBthr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes, "etphoto" I do believe/know the S3 is better on many fronts perhaps I expected more. See my audio playback thread. ?Questions?.
I do really like the S3 and S2 is credible, contrary to some peoples opinion (Thurrott.com).
Written on S3.

WillBthr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
For my uses the S3 have been unable to do what I would like it to do. I am disappointed to say the least. For details see my other recent posts here. Perhaps a Steinberg issue but it doesn't do what simple things I need from it. Ready to return.

ClintRo

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Will, sounds like you might be better off with the SP3 instead of the S3.

My Wifey has the Pro and she loves it. I got the S3 because I just wanted a web/media device that could be used to remote in to work ever now and then.

I can use her's if needed for more robust needs or one of the 10 other laptops laying around...LOL

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
My S3 has allowed me to retire my Ipad 3...finally! Thank you MSFT!

I have had every surface released and this is the one that has the perfect balance that I was looking for.
My kids use the S1 and S2. All of my pros have been sold.

WillBthr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Surface 3 - plug in headphones and now because of the lower right side jack placement it is in the way of holding it like a tablet when used horizontally. S2 is upper left side. Much smarter.

Connect Samsung T1 SSD to USB port. Now attempt to disconnect properly and I'm told it is in use... forever. Haven't tried on S2.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Surface 3 - plug in headphones and now because of the lower right side jack placement it is in the way of holding it like a tablet when used horizontally. S2 is upper left side. Much smarter.

You mean if you're holding with your right hand? Remember you could always rotate it 180 degrees (upside down with windows button on left side) as the screen will rotate. Or use wireless (bluetooth) headphones.

WillBthr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
You mean if you're holding with your right hand? Remember you could always rotate it 180 degrees (upside down with windows button on left side) as the screen will rotate. Or use wireless (bluetooth) headphones.

I was lying in bed holding a Surface 3 with both hands and the kickstand slightly opened. I plugged in the phones and I wondered why did they move it?

Not an option: Wireless Bluetooth phones have very poor quality audio vs wired phones such as Sennheiser, Beyer etc..

Last edited:

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
The addition of the active digitizer for the pen is the main reason I opted for a Surface 3 instead of getting a really good deal on the Surface 2. I just needed an iPad replacement I could draw on. I didn't even get the keyboard. For me it was worth paying extra so I could do proper pressure sensitive drawings.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Not an option: Wireless Bluetooth phones have very poor quality audio vs wired phones such as Sennheiser, Beyer etc..

Try them again. Sennheiser and Sony both make really great Bluetooth headphones. I doubt you would even be able to ABX the older ones from their wired counterparts. Even the newer Beats Studio wireless headphones are fine.

WillBthr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Try them again. Sennheiser and Sony both make really great Bluetooth headphones. I doubt you would even be able to ABX the older ones from their wired counterparts. Even the newer Beats Studio wireless headphones are fine.

They can not be used for any kind of audio analysis (BT phones) and if you look at the way they work it becomes clear as to why.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Moving the goalposts I see. Oh well, it's clear you have a bee in your bonnet when it comes to the Surface 3. Despite your very niche use of headphones, it is clear that Bluetooth headphones can provide fine audio quality when it comes to enjoying music, movies, games, etc. So much so that companies like Sennheiser have decided to jump on the market.

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Wow! Some people really work hard to be unhappy. Are you this way with everything? Personally I would take Lifehacker's opinion on anything with a big grain of salt - especially with an article over a year and a half old.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte