Microsoft Surface 3 Type Cover

DLCPhototography

May 23, 2015
Visit site
The keyboard you show is for the Surface Pro, not the Surface 3, but with the one for the Surface 3, it will fold back all around, and automatically turns off when this is done. So yes, it can be used that way without removing it.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
With the Microsoft Surface 3 Type Cover can you fold it all the way back so it is still on the tablet when needed or must you take it off completely when not needed ?

This is the keyboard I am talking about https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...sories%2Fsurface-pro-typecover&token=4gGV9_GC
Yes you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Flexing the keyboard in BOTH directions prematurely weakens the wiring in the hinge and causing it to fail. The "proper" way is to detach the keyboard cover, flip it around and reattach it. That keeps the hinge folding in the same way while protecting the keys from dirt and grit.

ClintRo

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Yes you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Flexing the keyboard in BOTH directions prematurely weakens the wiring in the hinge and causing it to fail. The "proper" way is to detach the keyboard cover, flip it around and reattach it. That keeps the hinge folding in the same way while protecting the keys from dirt and grit.

This works well and is what I do. The only issue with doing it this way is the camera is covered, but really how often do you use a rear camera on the tablet....LOL

DLCPhototography

May 23, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for this! I've had mine for a few weeks, and never realized this could be done, but you're absolutely right. I didn't like the feel of the keys when I flipped the keyboard around with its usual attachment; reversing it eliminates this, and I like this much better!

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

Where did you find this out to be the "proper" way?... Just curious.... It sounds more like a personal work around more than the intended or "proper" way

Last edited:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
For me, if it's just temporarily flipping the keyboard back, I just flip it back.

But if it's longer-term, I do unplug and reattach it backwards because it really irritates me to feel the flexing keys underneath (which is why I can't stand the Lenovo systems or other hybrids where you can feel the moving keys in tablet mode).

But if it's even longer term, I just detach the keyboard like when I'm in bed.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
But if it's even longer term, I just detach the keyboard like when I'm in bed.
I never feel comfortable detaching my keyboard completely for a long period of time. It makes me feel like its so vulnerable without the cover. But then again I can often be somewhat paranoid...😐

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Where did you find this out to be the "proper" way?... Just curious.... It sounds more like a personal work around more than the intended or "proper" way
I put "proper" in quotes because it is my personal approach to the issue. I apologize if I made it sound like something that Microsoft recommends.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I personally don't think it feels right to fold the keyboard cover back and use it as a stand- anything on the table/surface you rest it on will be in contact with the keyboard and it just, doesn't feel right :)

Easier to detach unless you're worried about losing it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99