Why should I buy the Surface 3 over a more powerful laptop for the same price?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
It really is that simple. I mean, you either need the tablet form factor or you don't. Nobody knows how you actually use your computer so our input is pretty much moot.

What do you typically do on your computer? What do you wish your current computer could do? Make that choice accordingly.
You must be fun at parties. :smile:

It's call, "conversation". Sometimes it is helpful to hear how others use their devices... it can confirm to the requester something that they thought about, maybe give them a new perspective to consider, or maybe to correct a thought they had.

Sometimes things sound good in theory but don't pan out in reality.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The main reason a Surface was not even on my shopping list is because of, what I have now found out is called, "lapability" - the ability to use a keyboard while having it on your lap or similar position (reclining in bed, for example). I'm sure the Surface keyboard is wonderful, and as a tablet, I bet the Surface can't be beat. But I can't see using the keyboard anywhere other than a nice flat surface to set it up on, and 50% of time, I'm using my laptop away from a table.

But since I still wanted the convenience of a tablet, I got a HP Split X2. It's not perfect, but it does everything I need for a decent price. If I need a rigid keyboard bottom, it's there, and if I want a tablet, I just detach it. Basically, I don't buy that a Surface can replace a laptop because I just doesn't have the rigidity of a clamshell and sometimes that's very useful.

Hope any of that info helps you in your decision.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
You should buy what you like. I like it for the tablet and option to run desktop software if needed. I don't own the keyboard or the pen.
If I wanted/needed a laptop I'd buy the keyboard.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't. In its class, the Surface Pro 3 really has no clear superior. Everyone else using comparable parts is priced near or above the SP3, and its superior portability (tablet mode) kind of wins most small differences a Yoga or XPS would offer, for many. I would consider the Surface 3 through a student discount offer, but when you add in the pen and Type Cover prices, it's just not as good of a deal as something like that ASUS laptop.

InspectHerGadget

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I don't find the S3 at all slow. I was using Camtasia Studio to record a Q&A session with my students in which I was writing in the OneNote app while talking. Wasn't slow at all. I run simple statistical programs in SAS and they run fine. I do a lot of different things with my various computers, but seldom is what I do really hardware intensive. When I need to do something like that, I do it on my Dell workstation.

For web surfing, basic word processing, this and that, the S3 works faster than I can type and that's all that matters. A car that goes 200 MPH doesn't get you somewhere any faster than one that tops out at 90 MPH if the speed limit is 70 and you obey the law.

Edited to add: my first Surface was the SP3. The earlier ones looked interesting, but were a no-go because they couldn't run SAS, the statistical software that I teach, which only runs on full Windows.

It isn't slow all the time. It gets slow and bogs down when you get busy with it. That's why it is OK if you take it easy. I was testing it out and it would frequently get to 100% disk and 100% CPU usage at which point, yes, it slows down until it clears it's workload. This happens quite often as far as I could see.

InspectHerGadget

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
The main reason a Surface was not even on my shopping list is because of, what I have now found out is called, "lapability"

My wife uses her Surface 2 regularly on her lap with no problems. Maybe a laptop will feel better used in the lap but unless using in your lap is your primary use, the Surface is good enough. The smaller Surface 2/3 is easier and lighter to use in the lap than the larger SP3.

jbs-horn

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I have heard and to a degree shared the criticisms of the Surface line as lacking in "lapability." The new keyboard design that began with the SP3 and has been adopted by the S3 anchors the keyboard to the body of the tablet, giving it much more rigidity and making it quite a bit easier to use in your lap. The extra kickstand position helps, too. I really don't have any problem typing with the S3 in my lap as I am doing now. Not all laps are the same, however.

The main reason a Surface was not even on my shopping list is because of, what I have now found out is called, "lapability" - the ability to use a keyboard while having it on your lap or similar position (reclining in bed, for example). I'm sure the Surface keyboard is wonderful, and as a tablet, I bet the Surface can't be beat. But I can't see using the keyboard anywhere other than a nice flat surface to set it up on, and 50% of time, I'm using my laptop away from a table.

But since I still wanted the convenience of a tablet, I got a HP Split X2. It's not perfect, but it does everything I need for a decent price. If I need a rigid keyboard bottom, it's there, and if I want a tablet, I just detach it. Basically, I don't buy that a Surface can replace a laptop because I just doesn't have the rigidity of a clamshell and sometimes that's very useful.

Hope any of that info helps you in your decision.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
It isn't slow all the time. It gets slow and bogs down when you get busy with it. That's why it is OK if you take it easy. I was testing it out and it would frequently get to 100% disk and 100% CPU usage at which point, yes, it slows down until it clears it's workload. This happens quite often as far as I could see.

I also run into slowdown issues sometimes but it's nowhere near as bad as my Asus T100. That being said I do like to use Chrome, keep quite a few tabs open as I read lots of forums/news, and I type at 140wpm... and sometimes the S3 struggles to keep up.

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
You must be fun at parties. :smile:

It's call, "conversation". Sometimes it is helpful to hear how others use their devices... it can confirm to the requester something that they thought about, maybe give them a new perspective to consider, or maybe to correct a thought they had.

Sometimes things sound good in theory but don't pan out in reality.

Yeah I understand you. I guess I have just never had this dilemma ... Most especially since the Surface is such a unique machine; it's a tablet with an active digitizer, that can be used as a makeshift laptop in a pinch. It's either useful to you or not. It either fits into your use cases or not.

But carry on, sorry for interrupting the conversation. I'll see myself out :)

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why this topic has gone on for so longer.

If you don't care about using the device as a tablet or using an active pen, then the Surface 3 is useless to you: it's that simple.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
You can get the Asus UX305 for $100 off right now on the Microsoft Store.

$600 for that device is a great deal. That's the same price as the Surface 3 with 4 GB RAM, but it'll blow it away in performance. And the keyboard comes free.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Okay guys just think that surface is an iPad. And you're can get a laptop with touch with better storage and performance on cheaper prices

Not exactly the fair analogy but please use this

ClintRo

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I purchased the S3 because of the size with the ability, if needed, to be a full laptop. If you need a full time laptop I would go another route. But then everyone's use is different. IMO your best bet is to buy it somewhere with a good return policy if you are not sure it is what you want and try it out. The SP3 is a great machine, but just too big for me to use as a tablet/media device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes