Why should I buy the Surface 3 over a more powerful laptop for the same price?

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
As others have said, what are you using the device for? If you type a lot, you will find a laptop keyboard more comfortable and productive. Personally I take a lot of hand written notes and make hand drawn sketches, so my primary use is OneNote and pen. The pen was the deal closer. I also don't use a type cover - I have a BlackBerry Passport, so I connect via Bluetooth and use the Passport's keyboard to type.

Only you can make the decision of what's the best device for you.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Performance isn't always the most important factor.

You're right.

The Asus also has better battery life, it charges significantly faster, it has twice the amount of storage and twice the amount of RAM, it has more ports, a more comfortable and better keyboard, better speakers, and it's now cheaper too.

ClintRo

May 28, 2015
Visit site
You're right.

The Asus also has better battery life, it charges significantly faster, it has twice the amount of storage and twice the amount of RAM, it has more ports, a more comfortable and better keyboard, better speakers, and it's now cheaper too.

Can you pull the Keyboard off and write on it with a pen without worrying about you palm being on the screen?

LOL, I think that was more the point that ILLEGAL was getting at.

I love ASUS laptops, but I prefer my S3 as a media consumption/note taking device that can sometimes work as a laptop. I also understand others have different requirements and needs as well.

From looking at the Asus UX305 it looks like it is more of a competitor with the SP3.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Can you pull the Keyboard off and write on it with a pen without worrying about you palm being on the screen?

LOL, I think that was more the point that ILLEGAL was getting at.

I love ASUS laptops, but I prefer my S3 as a media consumption/note taking device that can sometimes work as a laptop. I also understand others have different requirements and needs as well.

From looking at the Asus UX305 it looks like it is more of a competitor with the SP3.

That's the most contrived argument I've heard lol.

The point is, the Surface is "the tablet that can replace your laptop", except in the real world it can't. For the same price or less you can buy a laptop that would do a much better job at being a laptop, or a tablet that does a much better job at being a tablet.

So as a laptop, "Why should I buy the Surface 3 over a more powerful laptop for the same price?"

ClintRo

May 28, 2015
Visit site
You shouldn't. If you need a laptop you should buy a laptop. It all depends on how you will be using it. Also it can replace your laptop I have not used mine since I got the S3.

The thing is that it does both and that comes at a premium.

And I live in the real world. Lol 😁

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
That's the most contrived argument I've heard lol.

The point is, the Surface is "the tablet that can replace your laptop", except in the real world it can't. For the same price or less you can buy a laptop that would do a much better job at being a laptop, or a tablet that does a much better job at being a tablet.

So as a laptop, "Why should I buy the Surface 3 over a more powerful laptop for the same price?"

So you are going to buy a laptop and a tablet and add the price of the two together?

InspectHerGadget

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
For people who don't have much money but want a gadget that they can be proud of, the S3 is still a great choice. It is also useable as a laptop for doing real work, even if it is slower.

We all wish for Core M and PCI-e storage and 8G RAM, all at the same size and price point (of course).

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
What the heck is the Surface 3 being compared to the ZenBook? They're 2 totally different machines. The ZenBook doesn't even have a touchscreen. It doesn't have a pen option.

The situation is so simple. If all you want is a laptop and best performance, you're not going to pick a Surface 3. But if you want a machine that's ultra flexible in a very thin body with a fantastic touchscreen with a 3:2 aspect ratio, a pen option, a detachable keyboard, multiple keyboard options, etc., then the Surface 3 is a very viable option. People have different metrics. If your only metric is the cost and the performance, then look elsewhere.

There's so few machines in the Surface 3 category really (laptop/tablet with a pen option). There's Toshiba's Encore machine. There's Lenovo's ThinkPad 10. Dell's Venue 11 has an awful pen option.

I'll take the Dell XPS 13 as an example. Beautiful laptop in so many ways. If I wanted a regular laptop, I would get that one. But I don't want a laptop. I can't rip the keyboard off the Dell. I can't use a pen on the Dell. By every measure of a laptop, the Dell beats them all. Have you ever used a laptop while standing up? It's really annoying.

People like Geodude just don't get it. A tablet will never be able to be like a laptop. And a laptop will never be able to be a tablet. A Surface machine gives me options. I can be in any situation I am in the mood for. When I feel like ripping off the keyboard, I can. You will never ever be able to rip the keyboard off the Dell. When I want integrate into my PC network and have a complete workflow with big software like Adobe stuff, I can with a Surface. An iPad Air 2 will never run real Photoshop or InDesign. Sure, you can juggle two machines. But people would rather have 1 machine. That's why people have a smartphone with a GPS app versus a dedicated GPS device and smartphone. While a dedicated GPS device has many features that no GPS smartphone app has, people are okay with just owning the smartphone.

The ultramobile hybrids (the Asus and Lenovo machines, for example) and the ultramobile tablets (Surface machines are classified these by Gartner) are the only growing segments of the portable PC market. People are adapting and buying differently because there are now more options.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
There's so few machines in the Surface 3 category really (laptop/tablet with a pen option). There's Toshiba's Encore machine. There's Lenovo's ThinkPad 10. Dell's Venue 11 has an awful pen option.

The way OEMs like Asus or Dell is able to cut down the cost of their 2-in-1(s) is that they swap out N-trig/Wacom digitizers for much cheaper Synaptic/Amtel digitizers.

I don't like Lenovo, but I have to give it credit for sticking to Wacom digitizers and not swapping them out for cheaper components.

Wildo6882

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
FYI, for those of you still in the market, I got an email from the Microsoft Store today telling me that the Asus Transformer Book T300 Chi is on sale for $499. That's a REALLY nice price on that machine.

Wildo6882

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
For my friends, the use of the pen is the utmost importance.

Core M and more RAM is not going to help them solve the Schr?dinger equation.
I wasn't saying there isn't value to the S3. That's not what I meant at all. I love it and absolutely think it's a great device. But if someone is just looking for a laptop/tablet combo, there's not much that could beat the T300 at that price!

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Of course it always comes down to what you will be using it for. I have an S3 and my wife has an SP3. Love the form factor and capability but it's not my only Windows PC. For serious computing and work I have Desktop PC. The S3 gives me PC functionality on the go and for non-system intensive web browsing, etc.. Much like I love my Lumia Icon and the functionality it brings. I use each where and when necessary for the job at hand. For me a Notebook would be too big for the Mobile functionality I occasionally need, and not big enough for the Desktop PC power I need then.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Of course it always comes down to what you will be using it for. I have an S3 and my wife has an SP3. Love the form factor and capability but it's not my only Windows PC. For serious computing and work I have Desktop PC. The S3 gives me PC functionality on the go and for non-system intensive web browsing, etc.. Much like I love my Lumia Icon and the functionality it brings. I use each where and when necessary for the job at hand. For me a Notebook would be too big for the Mobile functionality I occasionally need, and not big enough for the Desktop PC power I need then.

To me the S3 is certainly a secondary device. While it does 90% or more of everything I do for work I still sometimes need more power. But for the form factor it is incredible.

bambuco

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had the surface for a week now. I really wanted the Pro3 but couldn't afford it. I want the flexibility of having a tablet that can also be a full fledge laptop. Its portability, overall design, make it more functional than a full fledge laptop. NOTE: if you're making this a primary device, ok... Maybe you'd consider something else. But for me, have a surface + type cover + pen + dock + monitor & peripherals, well... That's a winning setup. Now if cost is main focus, then maybe not something to pursue. But I feel the convenience and possibilities justify overall cost when comparing a Surface vs. Traditional notebooks/laptops.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I keep seeing this argument over and over again: "I see this [X product] does a lot of the things the Surface 3, but is cheaper, so why isn't the Surface 3 cheaper?". The answer is "...because it doesn't do all the things the Surface 3 does."

Now, I know some of you may think that such product doesn't exist, but I can assure that it does, but it is not any cheaper.

*Hint* Lenovo ThinkPad 10 (2015) *Hint*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro