Ok, now what the hell happens!!??

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
So I'm running Win 10 TP on my Surface 3, and I'm stuck on 10074 since the 10130 update fails continually. This is a buggy build, so I'd really like to move on to something else. How do I get past the 10130 failure?

I've tried rolling back to Win 8, but the recovery drive I created is not working in 10074 either. I get to the "Select Language" -> "Select Keyboard" -> "Select Recovery Drive", then it does it's thing, reboots, and I'm right back where I started.

Do I have to wait for the next Win10 iso, or will MS push something down that will allow the update train to get rolling again?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
build 10130 is already available for slow ring users. Otherwise download the iso and install it manually? (don't have a sp, so I don't know if that's possible xd)

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I haven't tried windows 10 on my surface 3 (not going to ruin a perfectly good device by installing a potentially unstable or insecure beta OS) but I believe 10130 doesn't work on a surface 3 from reading the news.

"Unfortunately for Surface 3 owners, we learned this past week that Windows 10 build 10130 will not work on the Surface 3, due to a bug that is unique to Intel's Cherry Trail chipset. For those that did not know, Intel's Cherry Trail line of Atom processing chips are featured in Microsoft's latest tablet, the Surface 3."

Source Windows 10 news recap: Surface 3 bug, Microsoft Edge branding, build 10130 and more

Maybe just sit tight for next version to be distributed and try using that as a basis. I'm surprised though as I thought the recovery partition would always get you out of trouble :(

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
But you can go back to a pre-w10 state by using the recovery partition right? If the issues you currently have are to much to bear you should consider just downgrading. When the next build hit and if it supports sp's then you can upgrade once more

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I can't go back, I deleted the recovery partition to free up space and made a recovery USB thumb drive for that purpose instead. I think my only option is to boot from an ISO on a bootable USB, but with UEFI I don't know if that is even possible.

Lokified

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Ok, 2 things to remember here. 1. the Win10 Insider Preview does not currently have the drivers, although it sometimes will work if you do an upgrade from a clean install i.e. factory fresh image of Win8.1. 2. If it fails and you want to go back it is better to get a clean and new image that MS has for your device. Check out: Microsoft's Home Page -> and search for warranty-service-and-recovery or downloadablerecoveryimage
You will have to "register" your product (You should have already done this... but... if not then do so) and it will allow you a factory install file to reinstall the shipped OS.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I def appreciate the advice, but I have been unable to roll back using the recovery image. I've tried the one I made prior to the install of W10, and the one downloaded from the MS site. Neither works, I still just end up back at 10074. I've tried six ways from Sunday and then end result is always the same. When I tried the windows 8.1 ISO, if I try to install from boot, it won't accept the product key; if I run it from the Desktop it takes the key but then errors out with "No version options" or some similar error. Right now I'm just plain stuck, at least until MS releases a new official W10 TP ISO.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, I finally got back to stock. It took a re-install from a win 8.1 ISO first, then I was able to use the recovery USB I had to get back to stock.

Also, FYI to anyone interested, you will need a USB hub to re-install from an ISO if you don't have the type cover.

IMHO, Win10 was a disaster on this thing. I hate to say this, because I always hated Win8.1 for use as a desktop OS, but Win 8.1 is miles better than Win10 TP as a tablet OS. Much faster. smoother, and the user interface is just so much more consistent. I will be hesitant to upgrade when the time comes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans