Macbook pro early 2011 vs surface 3

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I probably already know the answer to this, but looking at getting into the surface lineup whether it be the normal version or the pro. My question is, with the regular surface would there be a noticeable change in performance against a machine this old even though it has on the surface (no pun intended) better specs. Wondering if optimization has gotten to a point where the surface can perform as well as this older MacBook, so I can make the switch and divine the wife as well.

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
From a spec perspective your Macbook is more "powerful" than the Surface 3. The Surface Pro 3 is more powerful than the Macbook. Without knowing how you and your wife use your computers, the Surface 3 may suffice as a suitable replacement. If you do a lot of video editing, for example, you may find the Surface 3 a bit slow. However, for most routine uses (email, web surfing, simple photo editing, etc.) the Surface 3 will be just fine.

I have a Macbook Air (2012) and the Surface 3. I find the 3 just as usable as the Macbook. YMMV.

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I agree regarding the S3 being similar to a MBP in terms of usability. I have a 2014 13" MBP, and I use the S3 far more frequently for routine tasks like email, social media and word processing, excel, etc.

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. We really don't run many intensive programs, aside from some photo editing. We did have adobe elements and it was slow on the MacBook, so I know that want be able to handle it. What about older games like Xcom enemy unkown, do you think it will be able to handle that. If not I guess streaming from PC is an option using steam. Also any idea of direct x12 will help with certain things?

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I haven't played a PC game since the first version of Planetside. All of my gaming now is console based like COD on an Xbox, so my S3 is strictly a tablet replacement that can run real programs.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have not personally run Xcom on the surface 3, but I have streamed it. It worked flawlessly using Steam in-home streaming. In fact, streaming from Steam works so well I don't really see the need to run games directly on the Surface 3. I would just run touch-based games locally.

Having said that, I would bet that older games like Xcom would run just fine.

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
That is good to hear. I think we are going to see if surface pro 4 comes out and possibly drops the surface pro 3's price. Otherwise it's surface 3 for us.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
IMO without using the Macbook you mentioned, I feel that the S3 performance is on par with my old Macbook Air 11" with the Core2 Duo processor and 2gb of ram and hence I don't think you'll see a huge step up in performance. The S3 sometimes slows down a bit with a lot of tabs open but on the whole it works reasonably well but I would never describe it as super fluid compared to a more powerful machine (e.g. my Lenovo laptop for work which runs on an i5).
That being said, the way you use the device will probably change quite a bit with the new form factor and I find that's very enjoyable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire