Obsoletion Day

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to obsoletetion day for the Surface 2! The day when pirated version of Windows 7 and 8 are offered free upgrades to Windows 10 but those who purchased a RT tablet and paid out $ to Microsoft are left behind. Yes, I'm somewhat bitter. I guess it is still better then the day that Microsoft kills the app store for the RT Surfaces and all those apps you bought and paid for will no longer be available to you as well. Oh but an update is coming to the Surface RT in September they say. Of course they won't say a word about what that means. It's such a big secret, got to get as many people off of RT before the big let down. Well, I guess I can concentrate on updating my Windows phone. I've been ready for an upgrade for 6 months now. Oh, today they say it might not be until November and rumors are that Verizon won't carry any.

I'm really beginning to think that Microsoft doesn't want me as a customer. :angry:

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
There is no free upgrade for pirated versions of win 7 or 8. They don't get a licenced version. It remains unlicensed, although I doubt that makes a difference to you (don't mean that in a bad way, or dig at you).
Where did you hear them say about mobiles due in November, as you made that sound like it's not a rumour, or not known about for around 6 months now.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Boo hoo. What about us Lumia owners who paid out the @$$ for phones such as the Lumia 900 to have them tossed aside 2 months later. It's tech. It always becomes obsolete the minute you walk out the door when purchasing and you choose to do that.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to obsoletetion day for the Surface 2! The day when pirated version of Windows 7 and 8 are offered free upgrades to Windows 10 but those who purchased a RT tablet and paid out $ to Microsoft are left behind. Yes, I'm somewhat bitter. I guess it is still better then the day that Microsoft kills the app store for the RT Surfaces and all those apps you bought and paid for will no longer be available to you as well. Oh but an update is coming to the Surface RT in September they say. Of course they won't say a word about what that means. It's such a big secret, got to get as many people off of RT before the big let down. Well, I guess I can concentrate on updating my Windows phone. I've been ready for an upgrade for 6 months now. Oh, today they say it might not be until November and rumors are that Verizon won't carry any.

I'm really beginning to think that Microsoft doesn't want me as a customer. :angry:
I just recently purchased a Surface 2 (a year after trading a Surface 2 in for a Macbook Air). I got it simply as an "MS Office appliance". (not to mention an insane deal that was too great to pass up)

The abandoning of the Windows RT devices is not primarily in the lack of a version of Windows 10 (which arguably walks back much of the tablet-centric features of Win 8) but more the lack of pressure (both positive and negative) on software developers to develop apps for the Modern UI.

Alternatively, Microsoft could open up the Windows RT-based Surface devices so that alternative operating systems could be installed. I'd love to be able to install Jide Remix OS on the Surface 2.

With the exception of the XBox, Microsoft is pretty consistent in abandoning their early adopter customers. I've been a longtime Zune fan (still am).

The ones that I feel a bit sad for are those who paid full MSRP for the Surface RT (first gen). THOSE people really got hosed.

Consider it a lesson learned.

Boo hoo. What about us Lumia owners who paid out the @$$ for phones such as the Lumia 900 to have them tossed aside 2 months later. It's tech. It always becomes obsolete the minute you walk out the door when purchasing and you choose to do that.
No. Tech doesn't suddenly become obsolete the minute you walk out the door. The only exception was the Microsoft Kin. That thing was killed stone dead within 30 days of release.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Exception is xbox? Find that surprising considering what they are really known for say windows I would say they have supported very well over the decades. Like most things there's exceptions like rt.

Lots of companies try something new people buy it, doesn't work out, you don't get support and/also company goes bust. Only difference is people forget about them and move on. People do remember some like Betamax, HD DVD, but people don't demand support years later. They just realise didn't work out.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Exception is xbox? Find that surprising considering what they are really known for say windows I would say they have supported very well over the decades. Like most things there's exceptions like rt.
The context is consumer hardware. In that regard, yes, the XBox is the exception.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Surface pro, wp8.
Original xbox was dropped pretty badly. 360 has benn supported pretty well though.
And I still would say their support for their dropped products isn't any worse than any other company.
Never worked out had to move on. Not saying I don't think they could not have upgraded rt to win 10 rt, say phone one though.
Shame but, oh well.... (as I look across room to blackberry tablet)

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The abandoning of the Windows RT devices is not primarily in the lack of a version of Windows 10 (which arguably walks back much of the tablet-centric features of Win 8) but more the lack of pressure (both positive and negative) on software developers to develop apps for the Modern UI.

They could have, or more precisely they should have opened Win32 development for Windows RT. By abandoning Windows RT, Microsoft is now without OS for ARM processors (Windows 10 mobile does not count, it is just a heavily restricted mobile OS).
It will be very hard for them to eventually re-enter the market.
Also for consumers it is a pitty, since all they have now is a me-too-device like the Surface 3 while the roadmap for Atoms SoCs are falling behind to the likes of ARM based high-end mobile SoCs as we speak.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo