Reset Win10 on Surface 3 result in blue screen

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So, the only way to reset the Surface 3 after a Windows 10 upgrade is using W10 USB media? That's kinda crazy, isn't it?

I just tried to reset using the settings option and it resulted in the blue screen that everyone else is experiencing. However, I was lucky in that it rebooted and was able to actually rollback to the previous state.

I then noticed using Disk Management that the 5.27 GB Recovery Partition is empty. Did the W10 upgrade remove the recovery data? If so, that is really bad IMO. That means that the built in system reset options in the settings will never work for our Surfaces after a windows 10 upgrade.

It's a serious issue. Average people would not know how to fix it.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me tonight. Surface 3 got stuck in the Inaccessible_Boot_Device blue screen. Made a USB boot disk with Windows 10 installation files and when I tried to use it, it worked. However, there was a point where it asked for my CD key, which I do not have or know. My Surface came with Windows 8.1. With no other apparent options, I chose to skip that and continue. Once I get it installed, what will my options be to get the key? Will I have to restore to the factory OS and then upgrade again or what else will I be able to do?

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
So far everyone on the forums that I've run into who skipped entering the license key when upgrading their Surface 3 have reported that it activated automatically later on. Some people though were unable to skip it and got stuck.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Once I get it installed, what will my options be to get the key?

Just skip all the requests for the key, I was told it's stored in the UEFI, although I've read it's also related to your MS account too.

Anyway after doing a clean install on my SP3 checking after shows it's activated.

It's also worth removing all the partitions when it gives you the option during an install (unless you have added some or dual booting).

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Count me in. Was doing a complete reset, I was happy when the reset process almost finished and I'm gonna have a clean OS and bam, INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE. The reset option definitely has a really really serious bug. Now without any other PC and reliable internet connection, my 4yo laptop is turned into a 3kg brick. Refresh work fine tho, tried refresh around a week ago.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Count me in. Was doing a complete reset, I was happy when the reset process almost finished and I'm gonna have a clean OS and bam, INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE. The reset option definitely has a really really serious bug. Now without any other PC and reliable internet connection, my 4yo laptop is turned into a 3kg brick. Refresh work fine tho, tried refresh around a week ago.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Did you bring it to nearest microsoft store?

Alexis Vargas M

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
My Surface 3 ran into a nasty bug for the second time, and I am seriously considering do a clean install with a bootable USB. Will it work? I've read all of whay you've experienced and I'm affraid I'll end with the inaccessible boot device error.
I've had that too once on my VAIO Laptop, but I could re install Windows 10 froma USB bootable device. If it's the same, and going to the UEFI on Surface, should it work, right?

Last edited:

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I ended up doing a clean install which worked fine.

The boot issue only happened when trying to do a reset from within Windows after upgrading from 8.1.

blur510

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
This happened to my surface 3 as well, downloaded the ISO but didn't work. Brought it to the Microsoft store, they replaced it with a new one with win 10 installed.. Also happened to my yoga 2 pro. Had to use Lenovo's recovery software. I wonder why this happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss