Windows 10 on Surface 3 issues

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
So far, my experience running Windows 10 on my Surface 3 has been far from pleasant. In tablet mode, it is practically impossible for me to scroll the start screen. If it does move, it is so slow and clunky it never gets to the right spot. Swiping from the left edge to bring up the multitask view rarely works either. It will flash quickly to the multitask view and then go right back to the app I was last viewing. The Edge browser runs incredibly slow and clunky as well. Trying to scroll through a page, even a pretty simple and clean page is slow, clunky, and painful.

After a reboot, I tried to swipe up so I could log in, but it was so jerky/clunky I never could get it to swipe up all the way to bring up the login screen. I had to attach the keyboard and do it that way. After entering my credentials, it just took me to a black screen. I had to press the power button a couple of times to get it to take me back to the lock screen where I could try logging on again.

It seems to have difficulty charging the battery. After working with this for a while, I plugged it into the charger once the battery was down to around 14%. After nearly 3 hours, it was still at 14%. The icon in the systray looked like it was charging and the white LED was illuminated on the charger, but it seems like it didn't charge at all. When I click on the battery icon in the systray, it will sometimes say "not charging" despite being plugged in. Never had this issue with Windows 8.1.

I've also had problems typing. When trying to reply to this thread using Edge, I could not get the cursor to show up in the message field. I would try both tapping with my finger and using the track pad to click the cursor into the field and it would never appear. I finally tried opening the window in IE and it sort of worked. I could get the cursor to appear, but when I started typing, it would only recognize a keystroke every few seconds. I would have to press a key, wait for the letter to appear, sometimes this would take several seconds before I could press another key. To get this message, I typed it out in Notepad (which worked fine) and pasted it in.

After work today, I'm going to try to do a clean install. If that doesn't work, can you factory reset the Surface 3s? I'll definitely want to go back to Windows 8.1 if I can't get this to work. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't do a clean install. I tried that on my Surface 3 LTE and it bricked it, I am no kidding. I couldn't restore from a factory image, the HDD wasn't recognized anymore. It was ridiculous.

My experience with Windows 10 on two Surface 3 LTEs is the exact same. Virtually no drivers (no display driver, display adapter driver, no SD card driver, device couldn't sleep, brightness didn't work, etc). So without a lot of drivers, animations looked so terrible, everything loaded so slow, it took minutes for the device to shut down. I would recommend users who own a Surface 3 or LTE to not upgrade yet. I know people who own a Surface 3 and their upgrade went great, but I had two units who did not receive drivers from the "upgrade" or clean install.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, maybe I'll just factory restore it. I'm assuming that's possible. It's a new tablet so I don't have much to risk in doing so.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I am going to try to reupgrade to Windows 10 since a lot of people are saying they issued a drive update for the Surface 3.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, maybe I'll just factory restore it. I'm assuming that's possible. It's a new tablet so I don't have much to risk in doing so.

Just get the driver updates today and see what that does for you. I had identified all those issues last week and couldn't figure out why other people weren't noticing how bad it was.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Sweet, I got the new drivers from Intel and they seem to have resolved the performance issues. I still can't post replies here using Edge as I can't get the cursor to appear in the message field, but oh well.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I can say that the latest updates have fixed the performance of my Surface 3 LTE 100%. I can't say the same for Edge's JavaScript loading, since for some reason websites today decide to use terrible advertisements to hinder the use of their website.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I can say that the latest updates have fixed the performance of my Surface 3 LTE 100%. I can't say the same for Edge's JavaScript loading, since for some reason websites today decide to use terrible advertisements to hinder the use of their website.

Have you grabbed the Windows Central tablet app? It does a beautiful job serving up this sites content.

Are you using Edge with touch or mouse/trackpad? Touch is always 100% responsive while mouse gets jerky and hung up.

jkellywilkerson

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
After upgrading to Windows 10 on my Surface 3, the floating tool/color palette that was available on OneNote is now gone. I can't find anywhere in the settings to display it or enable it for either version (Modern 2013 or standard desktop 2013). Anyone with ideas on how to re-enable that, please share. I'd be extremely grateful for the help in solving this. Worked perfectly before upgrading to Windows 10. I know that shouldn't have anything to do with Office programs or apps, but it absolutely did. It was working Tuesday night, I upgraded Wednesday, it was gone when needed Thursday night.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The OneNote app in Win 10 sucks! Submit the feedback, then search OneNote sucks and upvote those results. It's another case of the MS gutting what was a good app.

The Desktop OneNote is nice but the button currently only works to open the app store version.

dmccubbi

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes, just tried to use color palette, after upgrading. Also, just have a thin line pen. The old version was very intuitive. Not so this one. Am thinking of going back to Windows 8.1.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Normally I can at least see why design changes were made even if I don't agree with them. What happened to OneNote I just don't understand. It's like they just went and yanked out as much as possible.

They probably did a study where first time users got confused. If they were trying to simplify it Microsoft needs to learn that simple does not mean featureless. It's ok to have a learning curve for advanced features. If people like the product enough they'll put in some time for discovery.

The only other thing I can think of is they are trying to drive people to the desktop version.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Two big bugs I have are:

1. When using desktop apps there is frequently no way to get the keyboard to come up when I need it.
2. When the taskbar? (or charms bar, or whatever it is called now) slides in from the right often the bottom half is missing, or sometimes the whole thing is missing.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Two big bugs I have are:

1. When using desktop apps there is frequently no way to get the keyboard to come up when I need it.
2. When the taskbar? (or charms bar, or whatever it is called now) slides in from the right often the bottom half is missing, or sometimes the whole thing is missing.
I don't know about your second issue, but the first one is easy to fix. Right-click the taskbar and click "Show touch keyboard button".

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Two big bugs I have are:

That is the action center. Can you post a screen shot? I've never seen that happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6