System Process and Windows 10

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Happened again today. I had to hold the power switch down to force a shutdown. I think whatever it is started after that last update.

If they are shipping these with 10 from the factory now they need to scramble and get these problems fixed.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So will that overwrite the recovery partition on the S3?

If you want it to. During the recovery it asks you if you'd like to re-partition the drive. If you chose that, it will wipe everything and create new partitions, including a new recovery partition. If you choose No, it will just re-install Windows, but leave the old recovery there.

I personally would re-partition.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Almost seems like the recovery partition isn't needed if the utility can be downloaded. It would be nice if they allowed for that space to be reclaimed.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I try not to visit this website often, because I just get so frustrated with all of the advertisements, and then I have to edit the hosts file, and then I am mad. So I try not to get mad.

However, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 through a USB. A few things to note, if you do burn the ISO to a USB, make sure you use GPT (or whatever it is called, NOT MBR), it's formatted as exFat, and that you have the MSI file for your Surface. You will also need a USB hub and a mouse, as NOTHING will work on your Surface unless you inject the drivers beforehand, but I am not going to go over that. :)

With a fresh install of Windows, I haven't come across a single issue yet, and my battery lasts at least 8-9 hours under normal usage. It will last like 6-7 is I am streaming a lot of videos. It's still like 60% better than I was getting.

Use Rufus if you want to make your own ISO. Remember, GPT (or whatever it is called, just not MBR), and exFat. Get the 64-bit ISO from Microsoft's media creation tool. Do not create the USB from that tool, it won't format it in a way your Surface can boot from.

Cheers.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I would believe that 100%. Devices now can play/transcode video very easily while only using like 1-10% CPU. So if you are only using that much CPU, combined with 50% or less brightness, you will easily get 8+ hours of battery life. Browsing the internet with Edge takes up more CPU usage than that, so you definitely won't get 10 hours of battery life by just browsing the web.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
However, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 through a USB. A few things to note, if you do burn the ISO to a USB, make sure you use GPT (or whatever it is called, NOT MBR), it's formatted as exFat, and that you have the MSI file for your Surface. You will also need a USB hub and a mouse, as NOTHING will work on your Surface unless you inject the drivers beforehand, but I am not going to go over that. :)

With a fresh install of Windows, I haven't come across a single issue yet, and my battery lasts at least 8-9 hours under normal usage. It will last like 6-7 is I am streaming a lot of videos. It's still like 60% better than I was getting.

Use Rufus if you want to make your own ISO. Remember, GPT (or whatever it is called, just not MBR), and exFat. Get the 64-bit ISO from Microsoft's media creation tool. Do not create the USB from that tool, it won't format it in a way your Surface can boot from.

Cheers.

So basically, the USB of Windows Home Edition that I created with the media creation tool will not work for doing a clean install of Windows 10 on the Surface? How do I get an ISO of Windows 10 Home? Is there a direct download of that ISO file? And then I have to use Rufus to make a USB bootable drive using GPT method. is that correct?

Also, you mentioned that you also used the driver msi file to initially install all the Surface 3 drivers. If I have that file on an SD card inserted into the Surface, would that work? Will there be a way to navigate to this file upon initial boot of a fresh install of Windows 10, or will touch not work initially?

Sorry for all of these questions. I just wanted to make sure I understood the process if I decide to reset. I suppose MS will put up a nice help page and a step-by-step procedure for installing Windows 10 on a Surface at some point. Or maybe that is wishful thinking.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
So basically, the USB of Windows Home Edition that I created with the media creation tool will not work for doing a clean install of Windows 10 on the Surface? How do I get an ISO of Windows 10 Home? Is there a direct download of that ISO file? And then I have to use Rufus to make a USB bootable drive using GPT method. is that correct?

Also, you mentioned that you also used the driver msi file to initially install all the Surface 3 drivers. If I have that file on an SD card inserted into the Surface, would that work? Will there be a way to navigate to this file upon initial boot of a fresh install of Windows 10, or will touch not work initially?

Sorry for all of these questions. I just wanted to make sure I understood the process if I decide to reset. I suppose MS will put up a nice help page and a step-by-step procedure for installing Windows 10 on a Surface at some point. Or maybe that is wishful thinking.

You can get the ISO from the Windows Media Creation tool, instead of selecting a USB drive it lets you choose an ISO.

I didn't check, but I am pretty sure the SD card would not work without drivers. There is a specific driver that does get installed from the MSI file, so I doubt Windows 10 would install that basic driver. Touch screen was not working for me, so I needed to plug in a mouse and a USB drive with the MSI file. The Micro USB port does not act as a data port without drivers, so I couldn't use my OTG cable either. So I needed to have a USB hub. -_-

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The high CPU hit me again today. Have you still been running okay?

It's starting to feel like Windows 10 has a mind of it's own. The Surface 3 most of the time will work great, until you need to depend on it. I never know if:

• WiFi will drop to limited connection
  • Battery will rapidly drain dead
  • Touch screen will act up
  • System CPU will go through the roof

:(

Running 10532

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
This is a rather long thread because of storybook posts, but I want to respond to the OP. This was an issued that plagued me for months on my Dell Laptop on Windows 8/8.1/10. I finally figured out it was a faulty wireless card (wireless and BT card). I replaced it and the problem went away

May not be your problem, but I, unfortunately, saw this well before W10 builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It came back after a reboot. I can tell right away as the Surface 3 feels sluggish. System and System Interrupts are taking all the CPU cycles.

I guess I should get MS care before I smash this thing into pieces. Or just go back to Windows 8.1, just wouldn't be as fun.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I try not to visit this website often, because I just get so frustrated with all of the advertisements, and then I have to edit the hosts file, and then I am mad. So I try not to get mad.

Cheers.

Enixon, did reinstalling the drivers like you mentioned on the other page fix the issues? My Surface 3 is a moody SOB. When it works it is so fast and fluid. But there is no telling if it will work or not.

I'm tempted to either take mine to the store or try a self clean install. If they had Win 10 factory LTE models in the store I'd just rather get an exchange at this point.

I just ran the US1 version of the msi file for Surface 3 drivers. From what I found the US1 version is for AT&T.

Last edited:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I brought it in to the MS store and they have been working on it for 7 hours now. They had to give up on loading the image and have resorted to doing the live update that I already had done before.

I'm really amazed if anyone out there actually has a Surface 3 working fine with Windows 10.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm really amazed if anyone out there actually has a Surface 3 working fine with Windows 10.

I assume you are talking about the LTE Surface 3, right? I assumed most standard Surface 3s are working fine with Windows 10. After a few early issues with the network adapter drivers, mine has been rock-solid for a couple weeks now on Windows 10. However, I don't use the pen very much, so I can't really speak to the various pen issues that have been talked about.

I wish you luck with yours. Hopefully the MS store can get it cleaned up for you. I'm sure it is super annoying to have to deal with so many issues on a brand new device.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, they said the LTE models have been problematic. After about 8 hours and 3-4 people working on it in the store it seems like it might be okay now. I hesitate to say that but the pen is working, CPU has stayed stable, touch screen hasn't acted up, etc.

Only problem at the store was they wanted me to wait and not leave it there. However, they let me leave after they saw how lengthy the process was going to be. But nice people there.

Only thing I can figure is the earlier version of the upgrade may have borked the LTE model somewhat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos