Battery drain in sleep mode

JUPITER2015

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

Got a problem with battery draining too fast on my Surface2 with energy report suggesting that a driver of Tegra Audio or the device itself prevents system from entering into a sleep mode.

I have gone through 8 (!) exchanges and every time getting another tablet with exactly the same issue. No troubleshooting options available through MS helpdesk helped at all so every time MS support offering exchange.

Really got tired receiving faulty tablets one by one and had to ask their support to forward my complaint to the next level. Got a response from someone there with a lot of sorries but re-addressing the issue into 3rd party - Nvidia telling me that if I chose to use their driver it is not their - Microsoft's - responsibility if the battery keeps draining. It is as if I had a choice, not funny.. From their response it was not clear if that was their final word, but I wrote my response and still have not got anything back.

Has anyone been into such awkward situation? Any ideas if the issue with draining battery might be resolved somehow?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

Got a problem with battery draining too fast on my Surface2 with energy report suggesting that a driver of Tegra Audio or the device itself prevents system from entering into a sleep mode.

I have gone through 8 (!) exchanges and every time getting another tablet with exactly the same issue. No troubleshooting options available through MS helpdesk helped at all so every time MS support offering exchange.

Really got tired receiving faulty tablets one by one and had to ask their support to forward my complaint to the next level. Got a response from someone there with a lot of sorries but re-addressing the issue into 3rd party - Nvidia telling me that if I chose to use their driver it is not their - Microsoft's - responsibility if the battery keeps draining. It is as if I had a choice, not funny.. From their response it was not clear if that was their final word, but I wrote my response and still have not got anything back.

Has anyone been into such awkward situation? Any ideas if the issue with draining battery might be resolved somehow?
Sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. When I owned a Surface RT and then later a Surface 2, I experienced the same issues with both of them. Although there were claims that updates fixed the problem for some, my units were never fully corrected. That was as of June 2014 (when I traded my Surface 2 in).

About 2 months ago I picked up another Surface 2 and ran through all updates. The person that I bought it from had reset it back to factory (Windows RT 8.1). That meant going through dozens of iterations of reboots and installing updates to install the 200-300 updates for it. In the end, suspend and sleep are working exactly as one would expect it to.

You may have already tried reseting to factory and then updating, but I would encourage that approach... keeping in mind that Microsoft's update process is a bit flakey. Sometimes it won't install additional updates because there is a pending reboot that is needed (but no indication that it needs to reboot). I would check multiple times (allowing a 1/2 hour in between attempts), rebooting, checking again a few more times and then some updates would appear, install them, reboot, recheck.

Since all 8 units exhibit the same behavior I'm not inclined to believe that it is a hardware issue.

JUPITER2015

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks mate, I understand the approach and will try it. I have actually another Surface2 which I bought first and later handed it over to a kid and which works smooth without all those efforts. Ironically when I bought that first one I was impressed by a battery life so decided to get another one for myself.

JUPITER2015

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Have tried to reset and update multiple times over past few days. No result with a lot of time and attention wasted again. This tablet is going to cost me a fortune soon..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett