Windows Media Center?

ChefFabrizio

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
so... I just got a great deal on ebay for a Surface 3. I'm going to replace W10 with Windows 8.1 pro (I just think it's a better touch first OS). So my question is... how should I expect Windows Media Center to run on a Surface 3? I'm getting the Surface 3, with 4gb ram and 128gb of Storage. Storage isn't really the issue for me. I've got a Microsd card at 128gb, and I'll be running tv over my network with an InfiniTV 6 tuner and recorded shows off my 2011 Windows Home Server.

Suggestions or is this just a fool's errand?

ChefFabrizio

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the link and reply. But, I'm not at all fond of windows 10, and the hacks to get the program guide working seems like quite a bit of hoops to jump through. I'll just try it on Windows 8.1

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Media Center. I use it on my SurfacePro2 (Windows 8.1) (no problems) and a Windows 7 box as a server serving Xbox 360s on all our TVs. The most family friendly "whole house" usable and full featured TV media server there is. It was developed long ago, so well, it hasn't really needed an update for years. If Comcast xfinity and tivo keeps improving their systems, they may eventually catchup to the functionality of Windows Media Center.
Re: Surface 3, I haven't tried. Sorry.

ChefFabrizio

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Long time user of Windows Media Center, one reason I don't like Windows 10, and also a xbox360 plugged into a home server, to play recorded tv, from the Media Center PC.

Just not sure a Surface 3, is potent enough to watch TV from the server, and that is my concern since I record in Full HD

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Long time user of Windows Media Center, one reason I don't like Windows 10, and also a xbox360 plugged into a home server, to play recorded tv, from the Media Center PC.

Just not sure a Surface 3, is potent enough to watch TV from the server, and that is my concern since I record in Full HD

The Surface 3 is quite capable in that department. The Atom processor isn't the sluch that the Atom name used to imply.

ChefFabrizio

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
It really hums along. Got media center installed. Watched live TV once. But have watched recorded shows so much it is amazing. So glad I downgraded to windows 8.1!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire