Who is running what OS on their sufrace 3?

ybahman

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Did you pay for it?, how much did it cost after everything? and do you notice a decrease in battery life using it?

The TouchMe Engine is 100% event driven and written entirely in native C++ for maximum responsiveness. Since it's event driven, it's effectively off unless you're touching the screen. And when you are touching the screen, it will only use a tiny tiny portion of your CPU. For contrast:
  • If you invoke the Start menu 5-6 times back-to-back, you'll see your total CPU usage increase by ~50%
  • With all my fingers on the screen, TouchMe only uses around 1.1% CPU
I could go out on a limb and say it might even save you enough time that you'd be able to accomplish more with the battery life you have, but that's a little silly :)

TL;DR TouchMe has no perceptible impact to battery life.

Stephen Borders

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Too many bugs and poor battery life on the surface 3. I installed windows 10 from the notification and the battery life sucked. I saw where updating the driver would get battery life back and then it started blue screening on reboot. I rolled back to 8.1.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I will admit that when I got my Surface 3 there were all kinds of issues with Windows 10. However, will all the updates over the last couple months its running pretty good right now. I HATED the mail app and complained to MS. The one in 8.1 was so much better. However, updates came to the mail app and its not so bad now and I'm getting use to it. There is another big update coming any day now and I'm crossing my fingers that will only increase the Surface's performance.

Stephen Borders

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Surface 3, not the pro. I updated again, deleted the battery and updated the driver. There was a hardware update that was not there before and it seems to be running better. Still uses a lot of battery on edge and the Microsoft Solitare game.

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm still running 8.1 on my Surface 3 for a few reasons:

? Battery life concerns with W10.
? IMO, W8.1 is more touch friendly.
? OneDrive placeholders!
? The metro OneNote experience on W8.1 is better (again, just my opinion).
? Metro IE is more touch friendly than Edge.

I do like W10, just not on a tablet.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is a non issue if you use IE. Edge EATS the battery for dinner. I love w10 on my surface 3. Maybe because I use my keyboard most of the time. But tablet mode is great as well.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Using RTM windows 10 is a chore for even the most die-hard MS fan, however, using the Insider Preview builds vastly improves responsiveness and brings back some 8.1 features. Been using my surface 3 for the past few weeks to play Fallout 3 and have been pleasantly surprised at performance. Edge still stinks on numerous websites however and how hard can gesture support be, I'm sure it would only take one guy 2 days max to port it in from metroIE.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
My Surface 3 LTE came with Win 8.1 Pro and I plan on using it for a while that way. Too many Win 10 issues on the LTE version reported right now. Also, I cant get Win 10 to "Make available online-only" my OneDrive stuff. Why did MS remove that ability, or am I missing it?

eckl

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 fall update. Just installed and it is working very well. Was using 8.1 before this. Touch friendly now, finally

harmon rabb

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
8.1 here. The device works so impressively well for the price, I haven't wanted to mess with it. I use it as a tablet around the house, as a laptop when traveling.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 with the November update. I wiped out all the last remnants of Windows 8.1 and started with a clean slate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos