Who is running what OS on their sufrace 3?

scrumperman

May 13, 2015
Visit site
8.1 here. Tired 10 but was not a fan on the mail app, Edge, or IE no longer being able to swipe back to go back a page when browsing.

jcorbin121

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Using 10, thinking about going back to 8,1 cuz mail app is junk, Office 2016 Outlook doesn't work either, keep getting disconnected, wont sync folders, many issues with Outlook - not sure if that is 2016 Outlook on W10 or just 2016 Outlook period. Web based Outlook.com works fine for me - I like to have the folders, calendar, tasks all in one view tho... The touch response is not always the best on the Surface3 with Win10 in my opinion. The O/S looks better, feels better but the mail app is a deal-breaker...

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Using Windows 10 and no longer missing metro IE and a few of the other more touch friendly features of windows 8.1 after installing Touchme Gestures. Lost about an hour of battery life but otherwise its working better for me after the upgrade.

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
What are the touchme gestures? and what do they control?

Just about anything you can think of - e.g., swipe back and forth web pages, two finger tip tap to cycle through tabs, swipe up and down to change brightness, volume, three finger swipe down to close an app etc. Basically you can assign a range of gestures to any of the basic functions for controlling the tablet.

One of the very few apps rated above 4.5 stars on the windows store - they should bundle it with all Surfaces.

scrumperman

May 13, 2015
Visit site
This sounds and looks great...Now if you know of a fix for the Mail App........the one on 10 is horrid, at least it was when I tried using it!!!

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Just about anything you can think of - e.g., swipe back and forth web pages, two finger tip tap to cycle through tabs, swipe up and down to change brightness, volume, three finger swipe down to close an app etc. Basically you can assign a range of gestures to any of the basic functions for controlling the tablet.

One of the very few apps rated above 4.5 stars on the windows store - they should bundle it with all Surfaces.

Cool, I will have to give it a whirl.

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
This sounds and looks great...Now if you know of a fix for the Mail App........the one on 10 is horrid, at least it was when I tried using it!!!

I've had mix success with it. I like the way Mail looks and automatically imports all of my contacts unlike Outlook. However, it doesn't quite seem to always work seamlessly with my imap email account when sending emails and the formatting can look weird in other email clients so I can't quite rely on it for my business related email account.

By the way, I just rolled the dice (after setting a restore point) and allowed Drive Booster 3 to update 33 drivers on my Surface 3 it claimed were out of date. Since no new firmware update was on the horizon I decided to try it. Most of the drivers were intel related including a few described as power management related.

Now for the first time since upgrading to Windows 10 it shows 8 hours of battery life. I wasn't getting more than 6 post-upgrade. Its too early to tell if this a real improvement and/or if one of the driver updates will cause something else to break but so far so good...

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Did you pay for it?, how much did it cost after everything? and do you notice a decrease in battery life using it?

jcorbin121

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I have since (last Friday) done a factory restore and then immediately upgraded to Windows 10 on my Surface 3 (base model) - Mail seems to be more reliable now, at least it works reliably and gets mail. Outlook 2016 seems to work now also, I am not using Outlook 2106 as my primary mail client, but I tested it with outlook.com account and it brought all the mail (and folders) down to my Surface. Haven t seen any other issues with mail since.....

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Did you pay for it?, how much did it cost after everything? and do you notice a decrease in battery life using it?

It was $4.99. At first, I did think it was seriously decreasing the Surface 3's battery life but then realized unfortunately that was just due to upgrading to Windows 10. After downloading BatteryBar Pro I could see that the discharge rate doesn't measurably change whether its running or not.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok, you using edge in 10? If so, switch to IE and your battery life will be returned to normal. I am at 64 % battery and 5h 53min left.

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm running 10 and feel its a love hate relationship. I love how it react to pin input and keyboard input with the latest updates but cccp codes don't jive well with 10 and I'm constantly reinstalling codecs to get the sound to function. I also hate the notification screen and miss the charms bar. It was so simplistic and functioned wonderfully. I feel for the Pro 4 that does away with the capacitive button. The stupid start button is so tiny on the desktop .... I rarely use the notification. Screen except to flip between tablet and desktop mde. Its by far the most useless piece of crap in 10. Exp since I've pinned all my email accounts and folders to the start window....

I really have high hopes that threshold will fox tons of screw UPS with 10.

P.S. my PC came with 10. Windowstore has already stated they have an image of 8 and can reformat my tablet and I often think of upgrading to 8.1

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Not to sound like a broken record but swiping back and forth in the web browser can be enabled through an app - TouchMe Gestures in the Windows Store.

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Ok, you using edge in 10? If so, switch to IE and your battery life will be returned to normal. I am at 64 % battery and 5h 53min left.

I'll have to try that. I've been using everything except Internet Explorer - Edge, Chrome and Firefox. I can't imagine it would make that kind of difference though but even an extra 2 hours would be nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)