Windows 10 ready for Surface 3? (Wifi-version)

MMOonlight

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I just buy a Surface 3 (wifi version) with w8.1. I really want to update to w10, so I just want to know is the W10 ready for S3 to update yet? (by this, I mean with a small number of the issues and no issue with the s-pen since I need it for my work) If not, I plan to make do with w8.1 for a couple of months while waiting instead. Honestly, I like features in w10 much more than w8.1, considering from my asus laptop. One more thing I have already done all windows updates, inc the optional ones but I can't find a way to update to w10:confused: (even the so-called 'Get w10 app' does not appear). I hope someone can help me with my questions. Thk.

Potzy2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface 3 running 8.1 and recently switched my all-in-one desktop to Windows 10. If you need the Surface 3 to work consistently right now, I'd hold off on the updating. I run into missing driver issues, some touch screen issues, and it still takes a while to boot up and shut down. Honestly, they probably should've waited a year to even release Win 10. Additionally, the tablet made is bad compared to Win 8.1. That and the desktop icons and be too small.
If you still want to pull the trigger you an force the upgrade by going to the MS site and downloading it. Good luck!

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
The drivers and firmware for the Surface 3 are pretty stable now for the vast majority of users. However, many miss some of the more touch friendly features of windows 8.1 especially the Metro IE and report a shorter battery life of an hour or so.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Mine came with 8.1 pro. I upgraded to 10. My battery life is about the same as it was on 8.1. The gestures not being there takes a bit of getting used to. But there is an app that adds back that functionality. I am still waiting on trying that one. I want to make sure that it does not take away battery life. Other than that windows 10 is awesome.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
My surface 3 came with W10 already installed...

Just being curious, where did you buy it? Is your Surface 3 a brand new machine, or pre-owned one?

A month ago when I bought mine from MS retailer, it was still installed with Win8.1, I had to install win10 myself, although the employee from MS retailer provided me with original win10 installation files, yet it still took me quite some time to finish the installation.....

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just being curious, where did you buy it? Is your Surface 3 a brand new machine, or pre-owned one?

A month ago when I bought mine from MS retailer, it was still installed with Win8.1, I had to install win10 myself, although the employee from MS retailer provided me with original win10 installation files, yet it still took me quite some time to finish the installation.....

I bought the first off NewEgg.com, but it had 8.1 installed. I crashed it trying to install 10. So I called MS and they tried several things but nothing worked. They suggested I go to the MS store near me. When I got there it was a little late in the day. So instead of trying to fix it, they exchanged it for a new one with W10 already preinstalled. They took it out of the box and started it up. Worked great, I left the store a happy man. :grin:

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the "Mine came with 8.1 pro." comment:
I know this wasn't directed at me but I bought mine new from AT&T. They have a 4GB/128GB Surface 3 LTE for businesses. It has Win 8.1 Pro preinstalled.

eckl

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Regarding the "Mine came with 8.1 pro." comment:

I know this wasn't directed at me but I bought mine new from AT&T. They have a 4GB/128GB Surface 3 LTE for businesses. It has Win 8.1 Pro preinstalled.
It is an enterprise version. Usually sold to big Enterprise customers. Retail version for general consumers doesn't have this spec. It is essentially the same machine with different spec.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6