Surface 3 unresponsive on wake up?

Evlkud

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey there!
I have a Surface 3 (4gb ram 128GB) and I mostly love it!

I have one issue and I'm not sure if it's a Win10 issue or S3 issue, but when my screen goes to sleep and I wake it up the device seems unresponsive until I pull down then up the lock screen again. I can see the mouse cursor on the screen but it won't let me click anything or if I go to touch it, it won't work either (until I pull lock screen down and up again)

Does anyone else experience this? Is it Win 10 or the device?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

boxie3

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
It seem like many people have the same issue. I had the same issue with a brand new Surface 3 (2GB/64GB/Win10).
Screen was blank and unresponsive. When I touch the windows button it vibrates but screen remains blank. I can see type cover backlight is working but nothing on screen. Once this happened I had to press power button for 15 seconds to reboot.
I verified Windows update was up-to-date but this still happened.

What I did are these 3 things
- Complete refresh as explained in MS support page with "Refresh your PC without affecting your files". It looks like Windows 10 was re-installed. Then I had to let it update fully again.
- I disabled Hibernation mode with powercfg command. This is explained in few places.
- I had a SD card inserted. I changed it to high performance mode. Then reboot.

It's been 3 days since refresh and I have not encountered the blank screen yet. Every wake-up is responsive since.
I don't know if this is a permanent fix (hopefully MS will address it soon), but if you haven't tried a complete refresh it may be worth it.
Hope this helps.
-boxie3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa