I just learned that the new pen for the SP4 also works with the SP3. I just ordered one. I also ordered the new type cover with fingerprint reader which also works with the SP3 flawlessly. Since I couldn't justify the expense of an upgrade from an SP3 to an SP4, I opted for upgrading the type cover and pen of my SP3. I love the new type cover. The keys feel much more like a standard keyboard than the old one and the fingerprint reader is awesome with Windows Hello. I will update this post with my experience the the new pen once it arrives.
    WillysJeepMan likes this.
    11-04-2015 11:14 AM
    The problem with the new pen on the surface pro 3 is that it is not utilized fully. The new stylus is supposed to use some 2000+ points of pressure sensitivity, while the surface pro 3 only uses something like 200+. This is of course based in the digitizer.

I believe that this was stated in an article posted here on windows central when the surface pro 4 launched, about the ability for the accessories to be backwards compatible in some respect.
    11-04-2015 11:23 AM
    The new pen has 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity and the Pro 3 pen used 256....

I believe the added pressure sensitivity is within the actual pen, not the digitizer (although that doesn't mean other new improvements/recalibrations are not located in the new digitizer)...

The pen itself is what holds pretty much all the new improvements as I've been told by several Microsoft reps and sales people. It does after all have it's own dedicated g5 processor.
    11-04-2015 11:28 AM
    I'm anxious now to see how it works on my SP3.
    11-04-2015 12:08 PM
    Although despite the extra fancies the pen is supposed to being to the table... The new pen in my experience is noticeably improved when being used on the SP4, but when using it on the SP3, I didn't really notice anything different other than the feel of the new pen nubs/tips
    11-04-2015 12:11 PM
    It also works with the Surface 3. For me, the biggest improvement was removing the erase button and moving it to the top of the pen. I could never find a good writing position that didn't result in accidentally pressing the erase button. That and the added friction from the new nibs make a huge difference for me.
    11-04-2015 01:51 PM
    Ok, I'm confused. Does this new Surface Pro 4 Pen work on the Surface 3? I was under the impression that it did not.
    11-05-2015 10:19 AM
    Ok, I'm confused. Does this new Surface Pro 4 Pen work on the Surface 3? I was under the impression that it did not.
    Yes, it does. Some are saying that certain features of the pen will only work with the SP4 but it is listed as compatible. I ordered one for my SP3.
    cygnus11 likes this.
    11-05-2015 10:21 AM
    Support for the Surface 3 is listed on Microsoft's site, so yes it is officially supported.
    11-06-2015 07:21 AM
    Support for the Surface 3 is listed on Microsoft's site, so yes it is officially supported.
    As of yesterday I have both the Surface 3 and new pen so I can confirm that they work well together. I like the changeable tips. The only issue I've run into is that clicking the eraser end wont launch desktop OneNote 2016. It launches the touch version just fine. I understand that the 2013 version did not have this issue. FWIW, my Surface 3 LTE came with Win 8.1 Pro.
    11-07-2015 10:47 AM
    The pen has always opens the rubbish desktop version of one note, there is no way of changing this at the moment.
    11-12-2015 12:48 PM
    The pen has always opens the rubbish desktop version of one note, there is no way of changing this at the moment.
    Install OneNote 2016 and it probably won't load up the desktop version any more. As for the desktop version being rubbish that is definitely a personal opinion. If the Modern UI/Touch version is so great why do I need the desktop version for some of the features I use? The Touch version needs some updating.
    11-12-2015 10:09 PM
    It still loads the desktop version. The 8.1 desktop version was excellent but Win10 version is still behind that, although it's catching up thankfully.
    11-13-2015 06:26 AM
    So far, I love the new pen (and keyboard) on my SP3. The pen "feels" much better in the hand. Responsiveness is great!
    11-13-2015 09:39 AM
    It still loads the desktop version. The 8.1 desktop version was excellent but Win10 version is still behind that, although it's catching up thankfully.
    We must be talking about two different things. I have Win 8.1 Pro on my Surface 3 LTE. I can get the touch OneNote version to launch when I click the pen but not the desktop OneNote 2016 which is what installs with Office 365. When I go into the surface app and set the "eraser" button to launch the desktop version of OneNote nothing happens. Switching back to the touch version works fine.

I didn't notice any differences between OneNote 2016 on my Win 8.1 install and OneNote 2016 on my Win 10 desktop so don't know what you are referring too.
    11-13-2015 12:57 PM
    So far, I love the new pen (and keyboard) on my SP3. The pen "feels" much better in the hand. Responsiveness is great!
    I can't get the type cover to work with mine. Is there something I need to install?
    11-13-2015 03:33 PM
    Did you install the latest firmware update? Thats required. I just snapped mine in and everything worked.
    11-13-2015 09:40 PM
    Mark, thanks for opening up this thread...Good stuff. could any of you who upgraded give us a few more thoughts on your impressions re: sensitivity, how responsive the different tips are, likes/dislikes?

Just picked up a S3 on ebay. paid 450 with keyboard, arc mouse, surface 3pro pen, and case. going to be using it as a 3rd computer for travelling so excited to see it's use.

Dr. Stan
    Licensed Clinical Psychologist and fan of portable hardware
    Macbook Air 14', T100 Asus, Google Nexus 7,9,10, HTC M9, Ipad Air 2, Kobo Glo HD, Kindle 2,3,4,PW,Voyage
    11-14-2015 09:31 AM
    Did you install the latest firmware update? Thats required. I just snapped mine in and everything worked.
    no. it wont install. i didnt even know about it until your post.
    11-14-2015 11:21 AM
    no. it wont install. i didnt even know about it until your post.
    What kind of errors are you getting? What version of the OS are you running? Have you installed all available updates through Windows Update?
    11-14-2015 02:35 PM
    Mark, thanks for opening up this thread...Good stuff. could any of you who upgraded give us a few more thoughts on your impressions re: sensitivity, how responsive the different tips are, likes/dislikes?

Just picked up a S3 on ebay. paid 450 with keyboard, arc mouse, surface 3pro pen, and case. going to be using it as a 3rd computer for travelling so excited to see it's use.

Dr. Stan
    Licensed Clinical Psychologist and fan of portable hardware
    Macbook Air 14', T100 Asus, Google Nexus 7,9,10, HTC M9, Ipad Air 2, Kobo Glo HD, Kindle 2,3,4,PW,Voyage
    I'll only speak for my own experience. I'm not a huge Pen user. Mostly touch as this is my alternate machine that I just use around the house. I find the new pen has a more "solid" field to it. It's a bit heavier and has less of a "plastic" feel to it. The single right click button is easy to master. I have not yet used the different tips that come with it. I think people that us it more for writing and highlighting will enjoy those. Do I think its worth the extra $60? Probably not if your a sporadic pen user like me but I like it anyway.
    11-14-2015 02:39 PM
    What kind of errors are you getting? What version of the OS are you running? Have you installed all available updates through Windows Update?
    I had to pull the sd card. I'm on version 1511 build 10586.3 and the type cover does not work.
    I checked for more updates and there are none.
    11-14-2015 03:38 PM
    You could try going into device manager, deleting the keyboard and let it reinstall. Short of a reset, support should be able to help.
    11-14-2015 04:47 PM
    thanks for the help. I got tired of fooling with it and just took it back.
    11-14-2015 05:08 PM