So talk to me, people: with TH2, is the W10 finally worth upgrading to for the S3?

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not seeing much of anything about Tablet Mode improvements. What are your experiences with the fall update's improvements? Would you recommend it conclusively over 8.1 now for us tablet users?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had much time to play with it on my Surface 3 yet but the improvements do seem to make a difference

icwhatudidthere

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Only installed it last night so I only played with it a few hours so far, but it seems to have fixed the issue of constantly requiring a password even though I set it to not lock at all.

Also, holding it in portrait in tablet mode, you now have the option of 4 tiles across instead of just 3. Having just 3 across was kinda silly especially with the 3:2 ratio screen.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Only installed it last night so I only played with it a few hours so far, but it seems to have fixed the issue of constantly requiring a password even though I set it to not lock at all.

Also, holding it in portrait in tablet mode, you now have the option of 4 tiles across instead of just 3. Having just 3 across was kinda silly especially with the 3:2 ratio screen.

The 4 columns is available in landscape as well, makes better use the available screen space

Last edited:

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Between TH2 and the recent firmware update, my Surface 3's battery life does seem to be dramatically improved over the original firmware and Win10 RTM build that it came with.

ryland Johnson

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Being my First Hybrid Windows device I can't comment on previous iterations of the Windows OS Platform. what I can write is this is the most user friendly and well constructed tablet (hybrid) I have ever owned and I have owned about 10 in 4 years, since tablets hits the shelves. I wont be returning to Samsung, Asus nor Apple after this beauty.
If ALL else fails with the Surface 3 one can always use it as a weapon of self defence, its built like a brick outhouse! Very pleased with mine and its not easy to please me with such technology. It is expensive though but one gets, in this case, what one pays for. :wink:

Ryland

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
We love our surfaces too. They are the best devices for computing made. Now with the pro 4 and book, the surface line can do ANYTHING you want to do in computing.

ryland Johnson

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I purchased the Surface 3 for 500.00. !50€ was the asking price for the keyboard so I didnt buy that, I bought the old keyboard for 50€ and the pen also for 50€.
My Surface 3 is a secondary device to use quickly rather than use my large gaming Asus ROG lap top that is connected to my TV.

I would have to think very hard indeed before I spent 1100€ plus 50€ for the new Surface pro 4 i5 as for that sort of cash one can purchase some serious quality far superior specified lap tops for that kind of cash!

When Microsoft introduce a new Surface 4 I would consider it but the Surface Pro 4 is serious cash and impinges on the territory of some serious lap tops with uber specs! The Surface Pro 4 i7 is nearly 2,000€ ....mmmmmm

Just some food for thought, Ryland.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the Surface 3 for 500.00. !50€ was the asking price for the keyboard so I didnt buy that, I bought the old keyboard for 50€ and the pen also for 50€.
My Surface 3 is a secondary device to use quickly rather than use my large gaming Asus ROG lap top that is connected to my TV.

I would have to think very hard indeed before I spent 1100€ plus 50€ for the new Surface pro 4 i5 as for that sort of cash one can purchase some serious quality far superior specified lap tops for that kind of cash!

When Microsoft introduce a new Surface 4 I would consider it but the Surface Pro 4 is serious cash and impinges on the territory of some serious lap tops with uber specs! The Surface Pro 4 i7 is nearly 2,000€ ....mmmmmm

Just some food for thought, Ryland.

You can buy a similarly spec'ed laptop for less yes, but then you do not have an ultra portable, tablet/laptop/desktop. Its a compromise with every other device. The surface is truly the do it all device that MS set out to build. I am docked now and have zero fan noise, a 23" IPS monitor, keyboard, mouse and touchpad. When we travel, our surfaces fit into the seat pocket on planes like a magazine. NO laptop can do that. they are all too thick and unwieldy.

Then, if you just want to read some magaizines etc on your laptop you have to have your tray down, and its super uncomfortable. With the surface, go into tablet mode, and its like having a magazine. That convenience is worth twice the cost of a normal laptop to me. Because, I would have to have a tablet, and desktop computer to do what I do with my surface.

Unless your gaming, then stop spec shopping and start experience shopping. The overall user experience on the surface is MILES ahead of any laptop. Gaming is different but that's not what MS are trying to accomplish with the surface. Gamers are just a miniscule blip on the overall computing demographic.

badersk

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
It is definitely better than the initial release, however mine runs painfully slow. I am not sure what is going on. Windows defender, in particular, MSMPENG.exe was using a lot of EPU. A scan within the CMD window helped, but it still seems slow. Anyone else experiencing this?

I don't want to do a clean install because I lose the PDF app that comes with it.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Functionally there is not a lot of improvement, but so far it has taken care of most of the W10 glitches I was seeing. Still a bit early to tell what all has been resolved but most noticeable for me has been login screen issues, start menu/screen delays and touch responsiveness, and general lag and hesitation. Much better now so far. Battery life says it's improved as it shows more time left but I don't know if it actually is. It seems to be draining almost as quickly in sleep as before, I checked this morning and I had lost 12% over 9 hours. It's only been on a day though so maybe there's some background stuff still going on.

Edge seems faster too, but is still a bit glitchy and auto-play videos on websites are a real nuisance. You'll still probably want another browser. Chrome is still better IMO even with the choppy scrolling and tiny menus.

I would say this is what the original release should have been three months ago. Still some room for improvement but other than battery life, which I'm not sure of yet, I think the major red flags that were driving me nuts may be resolved. That's assuming that you are OK with the poorer tablet experience compared to 8.1, which I am because it is a more cohesive OS overall.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
That's assuming that you are OK with the poorer tablet experience compared to 8.1, which I am because it is a more cohesive OS overall.

And there it is. What I was afraid of. *sigh*

I use my S3 90% as a tablet, so that's a big deal for me. I haven't upgraded it because of hearing how much lesser of a tablet experience it is, but I was hopeful that would be improved in short order. It doesn't sound like TH2 did much to improve that. Unfortunate.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
And there it is. What I was afraid of. *sigh*

I use my S3 90% as a tablet, so that's a big deal for me. I haven't upgraded it because of hearing how much lesser of a tablet experience it is, but I was hopeful that would be improved in short order. It doesn't sound like TH2 did much to improve that. Unfortunate.

I don't know if I'd count on them bringing back all tablet friendliness of 8.1. People seem to be liking 10 a lot better.

I wouldn't call it a "poor" tablet experience, it's just not as good as 8.1 was and I do miss the gestures. There is a popular app out there that allows customizable gestures that people seem to like but I can't remember what it is called offhand.

If you do upgrade, you can always revert back if you don't like it within 30 days.

Of course, after I wrote that this afternoon, tonight I had to reboot because my keyboard stopped working. So 10 doesn't appear to be all the way there yet. It's too early for me to really say if it's "good enough" yet, but again it does seem to be much improved so far.

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I use CCCP to control my sound for movies and my sound is constantly crashing before and installing windows 10. Its infuriating because I use my tablet to watch movies.

The only real plus is that pen input is far superior..... Stupid keyboard is acting w

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Between TH2 and the recent firmware update, my Surface 3's battery life does seem to be dramatically improved over the original firmware and Win10 RTM build that it came with.

Yep, I've had the same experience - noticeable improvement in battery life after both updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss