Brandon's Windows RT Quickbreak Powershell

brandoncomputer

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
This is a tool to quickly jailbreak your Windows RT device to run SIGNED desktop applications that are compiled for AnyCPU or the ARM platform.

If your hardware warranty is still valid, this will void it, although that is silly and this process is fully reversible. I'll update this thread with a reverse script, probably today.

It would not be fair to ask for software support from Microsoft upon jailbreaking, and I'm certain they have some clause or another that jailbreaking will cause you to lose it.

====================================

Save this to a .ps1 file on your RT Device, if you use notepad be sure it's a ps1 file, not a txt file. Run powershell as administrator. Type in the path to this .ps1 file.

The command.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>c:\temp\jailbreak.ps1

edit: On the below, you may want to change the $value from 0 to 2. This will allow you to continue to check for updates, and be able to hide updates you don't wish to ever install.

The file.
$registryPath = "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update"

$Name = "AUOptions"

$value = "0"

New-ItemProperty -Path $registryPath -Name $name -Value $value -PropertyType DWORD -Force | Out-Null

bcdedit /set '{current}' loadoptions ' /TŅSTSIGNING'

wusa /uninstall /kb:3084905 /quiet /norestart | Out-Null
wusa /uninstall /kb:3088195 /quiet /norestart | Out-Null
wusa /uninstall /kb:3108381 /quiet /norestart | Out-Null
wusa /uninstall /kb:3121212 /quiet /norestart | Out-Null
wusa /uninstall /kb:3101746 /quiet /norestart | Out-Null

shutdown /r /t 0 /f

===============================
To undo the process, from an admin command prompt run unbreak.ps1

This completely uninstalls the jailbreak. Any desktop applications you ran during the jailbreak remain trusted on your Windows RT Device, and will still run. Anything new you attempt to run will fail to launch.

unbreak.ps1
$registryPath = "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update"

$Name = "AUOptions"

$value = "1"

New-ItemProperty -Path $registryPath -Name $name -Value $value -PropertyType DWORD -Force | Out-Null

bcdedit /deletevalue loadoptions

shutdown /r /t 0 /f

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Outstanding, thanks brandoncomputer. The next question:
Is there a repository or a list of such signed desktop apps compiled for ARM?

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Will this allow me to run an alternate browser, such as Opera, Firefox, or Chrome? Honestly the limitation of IE or UC Browser is my big complaint about an otherwise brilliant device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes