chance of a Surface 4 in spring?

kelton

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there a future for the Surface "non-pro" line? If so, will there be yearly updates?

I'm looking to dive back into the Surface 3, but with March approaching...

From my searching, there is nearly zero chatter or gossip regarding a Surface 4.

As I recall, the Surface 3 seemed to appear out-of-the blue with very little pre-hype...so maybe that's how they are going to proceed with the Surface 3.

On the other hand, maybe the 3 wasn't a very good seller (I wouldn't know) and they are going to end it here.

Any hope for a spring surprise?

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I believe the sales breakdowns between the Pro and non-pro was released at MS's earnings call last week. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the Surface 3 was just a fraction of the total sales relative to the Pro. Based purely on that it seems logical to conclude that MS might not bother making a Surface 4. On the other hand, they've been pretty committed to the entire Surface concept despite not selling a ton of them so who knows.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I think I read something Paul Thurrott wrote saying he is expecting a Surface 4 in 2016 but nothing official

anon(791578)

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The thing is that Intel isn't supposed to be releasing the next generation of Atom until at least June. So I have seen rumors of the Surface 4 in testing, but that makes me wonder what is powering it? Is it Core M, is it the newly released refresh of the current Atoms (X7-Z8750), or is it the next gen Atom (Willow Trail)?

Skoen

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
wccftech. com/intel-2016-roadmap-leaked-confirms-kaby-lakes-10-core-broadwelle-apollo-lake-processors/

This roadmap suggest May/June as a launch for Apollo lake (which hopefully include Willow trail as the "low powered Apollo Lake"). Key feature (or lack of):
- eMMC 5.0 (up to 400 MB/S)
- Gen9 GPU, 18EU--> Does this mean that the new Goldmont CPU will improve a lot compare to the Cherry Trail upgrade? (Since Cherry Trail mainly focused on GPU side, going from 4EU to 16EU?)
- No USB-C...

So maybe MS will announce Surface 4 around March/April, but make it available in May/June (just like they did with the Surface 3)?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henrysmith