Use Surface 3 Charger on a cell phone?

kelton

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
This seems to be such an obvious question, but googling didn't help....so here it goes:

Can I safely use the surface 3 micro-USB charger to charge a cell phone? (in this case, a Note 4)

kelton

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, if I were a betting man....I'd assume that it is fine.

It seems rather dangerous to create such a charger....which could easily be mistaken for any old phone charger......that would damage people's phones. The uproar would be incredible.

But, I do not trust myself on this. Surely, there is a definitive answer coming soon! The Samsung S6 response is probably sufficient, though.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been using my Surface 3 charger to charge anything that has a Micro USB port, including my Band 2, Lumia 640, Bose Headphones, and Kindle Paperwhite. There has been no negative impacts of me doing this since I got my Surface in June 2015.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
USB power specifications are standardized. You won't have any issues using the Surface 3 charger on any standard USB chargeable device.

Haden Blau

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I started charging my Lumia 928 with the Surface charger about a month ago. It charged it fine and quick. Only thing I noticed was over the past weeks the Surface has been saying 'plugged in, not charging' more and more and now it doesn't charge it at all. Does the same thing on my mom's Surface 3 too. It never did that before I started charging my phone with it regularly. Coincidence? Anyways contacted support and they're sending a replacement charger. Not planning on charging my phone with the new one. Just me though.

kelton

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
oh yea... I didn't think of the possible damage to the charger.

Well, the problem you describe seems to occur with other people, too..... irrespective of whether they use that charger for other devices. So, your problem may be related to something else.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I started charging my Lumia 928 with the Surface charger about a month ago. It charged it fine and quick. Only thing I noticed was over the past weeks the Surface has been saying 'plugged in, not charging' more and more and now it doesn't charge it at all. Does the same thing on my mom's Surface 3 too. It never did that before I started charging my phone with it regularly. Coincidence? Anyways contacted support and they're sending a replacement charger. Not planning on charging my phone with the new one. Just me though.

Charging your Lumia 928 did not damage the Surface charger. That is an issue with the charger. Mine has done the same thing. After not using it a while it will sometimes charge my Surface but more often it doesn't. I've gone to a 2 port 2.4A charger that is working just fine now. It is a Ventev charger. MS needs a redesigned charger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos