Is Surface 3 still worth buying

srob030869

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
As the Surface 3 was released in May last year is there a replacement (Surface 4?) just around the corner?

Would it be worth waiting for?

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
There will probably be an update in the next several months. Surface 3 decent machine but would only consider the more expensive model. Lower cost one does not have enough RAM causing it to frequently slow to a crawl (FWIW, I own that model - and would not purchase again.).

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by tbsteph
There will probably be an update in the next several months. Surface 3 decent machine but would only consider the more expensive model. Lower cost one does not have enough RAM causing it to frequently slow to a crawl (FWIW, I own that model - and would not purchase again.).

I have that "Lower cost one" and it doesn't "slow to a crawl" at all.

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
No one here knows if they're going to release a successor to the Surface 3, but unless you need something right now you might as well wait at least a month to see if they do. On the other hand, if the current device meets your needs it might be worth getting since they've dropped the price. I too would recommend the 4GB version.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they'll do a specific S3 upgrade. They have the S4 M, so why add yet another skew.
I'd love to buy a S4M, but I want more memory to run my DuOS Android VM.

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't think they'll do a specific S3 upgrade. They have the S4 M, so why add yet another skew.
I'd love to buy a S4M, but I want more memory to run my DuOS Android VM.

Yeah maybe, although I think the main thing that sets the S3 apart (and maybe warrants keeping it as a separate SKU) is the smaller size. The S4M is still the same size as the S4 Pro.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I did break down and buy a Note Pro 12.2 referb for $350. I got sick of booting into Android on my S3.
It's purely for media consumption. I think Android tablets are better suited than my S3 at doing that.

I don't play games on either.

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I did break down and buy a Note Pro 12.2 referb for $350. I got sick of booting into Android on my S3.
It's purely for media consumption. I think Android tablets are better suited than my S3 at doing that.

I don't play games on either.

Agreed. The Surface 3's strength is that it's a very-small laptop. It's not a good tablet.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Why do you not think Surface 4 isn't coming? I believe they are perfect for lower cost surfaces and I thought sold well.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. The Surface 3's strength is that it's a very-small laptop. It's not a good tablet.

I find its a great tablet. click tablet mode in w10 and everything functions as it should as a tablet. The only thing missing is swipe pages. I cannot bring myself to download that app to make it a feature in w10......I am afraid its resource hogging.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Why do you not think Surface 4 isn't coming? I believe they are perfect for lower cost surfaces and I thought sold well.
I saw the release of an x86-based non-Pro Surface as simply Microsoft trying to (a) save face and (b) dangle a hook into the consumer waters currently occupied by the iPad 9.7" to see what nibbled. The response wasn't enough to merit continuing it and expanding it. They instead went high-end with the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book.

The Surface 4 is being produced by the same plant that is manufacturing custom blades and the Surface mini. :winktongue:

No inside information or rumor, just my conclusion based on a gut feel and Microsoft's history.

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I find its a great tablet. click tablet mode in w10 and everything functions as it should as a tablet. The only thing missing is swipe pages. I cannot bring myself to download that app to make it a feature in w10......I am afraid its resource hogging.

I guess if you've never used an iPad then it's an ok tablet. But, even compared to a decent android tablet (like a galaxy tab), it's pretty lousy.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I guess if you've never used an iPad then it's an ok tablet. But, even compared to a decent android tablet (like a galaxy tab), it's pretty lousy.
Yes. That's because everyone's needs/wants in a tablet differ. If someone's needs in a tablet are so basic as to be satisfied by a cheap $50 Android tablet then I can see how someone would think the Surface 3 is a terrific tablet.

Microsoft itself knows that the Surface line makes for a poor tablet experience. It is why they NEVER advertise the Surface without the optional TypeCover. It is why they don't sell a non-keyboard cover for the Surface.

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft itself knows that the Surface line makes for a poor tablet experience. It is why they NEVER advertise the Surface without the optional TypeCover. It is why they don't sell a non-keyboard cover for the Surface.

Their slogan goes something like, "The tablet that can replace your laptop." So yes, I would argue they absolutely market these things as tablets. (tablets than can "do more") I have had more than 1 non-techie person ask me if they should get a surface pro device instead of an iPad so I think the marketing is clearly hitting its mark. As someone who owns both, my answer to that question is always: "do you plan on using it mostly as a tablet rather than a laptop? If so, then stick with your iPad".

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I find zero use for a pure tablet. I have yet to see anything on a tablet that's much better than on the phone. Most tablets have phone internals, only with a bigger screen. There's a reason that tablet sales are dropping.

A good phone with a Surface machine is a great combo. I didn't like the Surface 3 (too slow for me; I had the 4GB model as well) but it's good for a lot of people. My cousin likes the machine I gave her. Faster than her ancient 15" brick with a HDD but now with a touchscreen and a pen.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Actually I have 2 ipads in my household belonged to my sons plus 2 android tablets as well, an acer and lepan mini. and the surface is more than an ok tablet. Its a great tablet. THe other are lousy desktops, laptops as well, however the surface also excels at that as well. Just FYI.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't find my surface slow at all. Its fast enough for my needs. And I am photo editing and soon to be video editing if I can find a decent app for that.

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Actually I have 2 ipads in my household belonged to my sons plus 2 android tablets as well, an acer and lepan mini. and the surface is more than an ok tablet. Its a great tablet. THe other are lousy desktops, laptops as well, however the surface also excels at that as well. Just FYI.

Hmm, I do think there's a big difference between "having an iPad in the house" and actually using it as your daily driver. That said I'm glad the S3 works well for you as a tablet. For me, having used an iPad daily for a couple of years, the problem with the Surface isn't the hardware so much but rather the lack of a software ecosystem. When I look at all the apps I regularly used on my iPad, almost none of them have windows versions. (and the few that do are worse on windows) If I'm lucky I can get by with a web version though that is typically a very sub-par experience. Then you throw in the general windows clunky-ness and the terrible battery life, and you have - in my opinion - a not-so-great tablet. The good news is that software things can change, and I'm hopeful that microsoft can lure developers back to their platform again. (but they have an uphill climb in front of them)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs