How does SIM work in a Surface 3?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a surface 3, 4GB version. I wanted to use the SIM slot for data

However, what would happen if someone is calling me? Or texting me and the line is in the Surface? Would I be able to receive the calls or reply to texts?

And is the default option for SIM data as metered? I only want to use it for checking emails and other sites, nothing heavy.

I'm asking this rather than testing because my card isn't nano SIM nor 4G yet and converting it will take time

Thank you

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying you want to take your phone SIM and put it into the Surface 3? I haven't tried my phone SIM in my S3 but when I call the number attached to my data SIM I get a recording that the person I'm trying to call "is not accepting calls at this time."

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Are you saying you want to take your phone SIM and put it into the Surface 3? I haven't tried my phone SIM in my S3 but when I call the number attached to my data SIM I get a recording that the person I'm trying to call "is not accepting calls at this time."

I still haven't done it but yes, take my phone SIM card, cut it to nano sim size and insert it on the surface 3 LTE.

Does that happen for all contacts?

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I would recommend you to add a data SIM with the same number with the one in your phone (multi-SIM thing). SO you don't have to switch the SIM between your phone and the Surface.

Cheers~

Posted from my Surface 3 running W10

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend you to add a data SIM with the same number with the one in your phone (multi-SIM thing). SO you don't have to switch the SIM between your phone and the Surface.

Cheers~

I've never heard of that concept, I'll check with my carrier if they have such a thing - it would certainly make things much easier

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Oh and I thought that concept is available everywhere.
Any luck with your carrier friend?

Cheers~

ChemEngr

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a L950 with AT&T. I asked them if I just put my phone SIM into the S3 LTE, would it work? They're both nano. Rep said no it won't work. But for another $10/mo, they can give me a SIM that works with the tablet. Hmmm, more money.

I'm actually curious whether the phone SIM would work in the tablet, but haven't tried it yet. Most times I just tether to my mobile hotspot. But swapping the SIM would come in handy if you don't want to drain both phone and tablet batteries. Thoughts?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a L950 with AT&T. I asked them if I just put my phone SIM into the S3 LTE, would it work? They're both nano. Rep said no it won't work. But for another $10/mo, they can give me a SIM that works with the tablet. Hmmm, more money.

I'm actually curious whether the phone SIM would work in the tablet, but haven't tried it yet. Most times I just tether to my mobile hotspot. But swapping the SIM would come in handy if you don't want to drain both phone and tablet batteries. Thoughts?

I'm very sure the SIM would work but for data purposes- the part I'm not sure is about calls and sms -which I need to find out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss