I followed the Surface Laptop announcement pretty closely, and to be honest I don't see how different this laptop is from your standard (and already excellent) XPS13.

The only two differentiating points I see are the 3:2 Surface display and the Alcantara fabric (which I don't see why so many people are hating).

Even then, there are a couple of devices here and there with 3:2 Surface displays also.
    05-11-2017 06:59 AM
    I followed the Surface Laptop announcement pretty closely, and to be honest I don't see how different this laptop is from your standard (and already excellent) XPS13.

The only two differentiating points I see are the 3:2 Surface display and the Alcantara fabric (which I don't see why so many people are hating).

Even then, there are a couple of devices here and there with 3:2 Surface displays also.
    The ram and SSD are intergrated (first time anyone has done that). Which leads to lower power consumption (and thusly also longer battery life), as well as lowering bus bottlenecks.

The butterfly-type keys might be a selling point to some, as might the seemless form factor, the thin touch screen, the weight, and the lack of bordering on the screen, one finger screen opening. Some even might just like the attractive form.

They did claim that going away on holiday, if you returned the battery would be exactly the same as what it was. IDK how that works, but maybe they have slightly different battery tech (because standard lithium loses charge unused)

Specwise, if your a spec person, there are better tablets than either the xps 13, or the surface laptop. Razers gaming offerings for example. It kind of depends on what one is after. xps 13 and surface laptop, certainly have numerical similarities.

I think because of things like the intergrated ram/ssd, it would probably make sense for someone to do some strong benchmarking with the device, to see what the user experience is like, because by the sound of MSFTs claims (like extra long battery life), some of the benefits of this device might not be obvious from specs people usually pay mind to.
    Tunde Fajimi likes this.
    05-11-2017 07:33 AM
    can you list which devices are 3:2? It is what holds me back on replace SP3. I wish HP Spectre offered 3:2
    05-11-2017 07:51 AM
    PixelSense is, like Retina, just a fancy term for "high DPI screen." It is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but pretty much every premium laptop is going high DPI or high resolution these days. I wouldn't buy a Surface based on that alone.

I DID buy a Surface because I trust Microsoft to deliver a clean Windows experience. I only ever buy pre-built PCs from the Microsoft store, because they come with a totally fresh install of Windows and no junk. Dell tends to load unnecessary software on their machines, which means additional time spent wiping or re-imagint the device before it's at its best. (Don't know if clean images are an option when buying direct from Dell.)
    05-12-2017 08:49 AM
    Maybe!
    Microsoft going HARD on the way that the product FEEL in your hands or everyday use.
    Giving the feeling of LUXURY I think its the bigger selling point, and yeah the Alcantara Keyboard helps on that
    05-12-2017 09:36 AM
    Yes, but long battery life, clean look and thin form factor contributes greatly to it.
    kaktus1389 likes this.
    05-13-2017 04:37 AM
    Yes, but long battery life, clean look and thin form factor contributes greatly to it.
    Totally agree...
    05-13-2017 07:45 AM
    I guess yes. It is a luxury device, a budget Windows S device costs 5 times less.
    05-13-2017 10:24 AM
    Yes, PixelSense display and Alcantara fabric are great selling points, though the advertised battery life and overall great design of this device are more important in my opinion. Pen support is nice, though this isn't exactly the best device to use the pen with as it is probably going to wobble a lot.
    05-13-2017 01:05 PM
    Yeah, I think there's a little bit more to it then just a better display and fabric on the keyboard. It's a great device with many selling points including the ones listed above. I really like that it doesn't come with a bunch of lame bloatware on my computer pre-installed. As do all of Microsoft products.
    05-13-2017 03:25 PM